2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Attention Enthusiastic Drivers!
By conzoomer on 01/12/13 05:24 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you are a person whose passion is improving his driving skill set, this is a perfect tool. The MX5 will reward you with increasing satisfaction and fun as you learn to master driving skills. Routinely switch off traction control after engine start-up to obtain linear throttle response and to learn the car's traction characteristics. This car is quite capable even in stock form; resist the urge to modify its performance until you have fully utilized all it has to offer. When you are not in the mood for spirited driving, you can chill and enjoy the scenery and the MX5 will not annoy you with a bad temper. Some 2008s had a defect in the manual trans. Mazda fixed mine under warrantee. THX!

It is true what others are raving about this car...
By mx5v on 03/21/12 19:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Still kicking myself for not checking this car out earlier. This is not kind of Sport edition, SE of other pretend to be sport cars off the regular boring cars. It was built from ground up. I finally test drove a few and that was it - I had to have one. Manual is one of the best I ever drove, but for some reason, I just could not fully enjoy the car with manual. Fortunately, dealer had 2007 PRHT w/auto, besides the fact it had 60,000 miles on it, it drove same as brand new one. Both me and my wife were blown away with joy this car delivers. This car sent shock waves through my family. I never seen any other car to make such effect before. We own 2008 now and discovering even more joy.

Why aren't more cars built like this?
By OwnDaRoad on 06/01/10 22:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my Miata for 21,000 miles without a major problem, other than routine maintenance. I have been asking other car companies to put this formula together, but only Mazda wants to do it. Even if you already have a truck/van/SUV that you are happy with, I would strongly recommend this car. The fuel and maintenance savings alone of using this for regular trips would almost pay for one of the most dependable machines I've ever owned.

High Priced Tin Can.
By Ewok on 05/28/10 05:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My back can't handle much of this car. After an hour or so I believe I'd feel better if I was on a medieval torture rack. Would that it took that long to get tired of the racket this car makes. Took it in for service to deal with the rattle, squeak, and squeal from the dash. The service people were really nice but unfortunately the problem is still there. So if you like paying 20,000 for a tin can this is the car for you.

Excellent
By Hydro on 04/13/10 06:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This car has great handling but there's room for improvement. What it lacks in power makes up for taking turns at 40 mph. For what it is, it's a great value for the amount of fun you will have. Yes, the interior is a little "cheap", but you get what you pay for. If that bothers you spend couple bucks and put some nice leather pieces in it. I've heard a million times that the car is girlie. To be honest, I've only gotten compliments ever since. I've had it for 3 months (an automatic), no problems and smiles everyday. As a daily driver back and forth to work the auto is great.

2008 Touring Hardtop 6 speed
By rabbit on 01/11/10 20:33 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I wanted a convertible & found MX5 has the package deal. Discount off MSRP was very attractive too. Fit me well (5'4"). There are after markets that sell for faster speed & other accessories...

Short Block Replacement@4800 miles
By Jack on 12/19/09 14:56 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Noticed high (2.5 quarts in 3500 mi.). Spent 1000 more miles convincing the dealer that there REALLY was a problem. Dealer finally tested cylinders for leakdown and then changed the short block due to a scored cylinder wall due to an improperoy installed ring. During the repair, the front of the car was damaged and the transmission linkage was improperly reassembled. After the transmission linkage repair, the transmission still doesn't shift as well as it did when delivered.

just better over the years
By Tom on 12/16/09 18:44 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

We have a 1993 Mazda which is fun to drive and has been dependable and mostly bulletproof for years. The refinement of the 2008, purchased new in 2009,is very impressive. The quick drop convertible top is just wonderful for changing moods and fun factors.

Fun! Fun! Fun! Economical! Oh and Fun!
By James on 11/09/09 12:43 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I used to own a 04 RX-8 which was a total blast to drive. So I was very happy to discover the fun factor is even better with the MX-5! The RX-8 was fast and agile but so too is the MX-5, it just doesn't have all the stress raising quirks of the RX-8! Like poor gas mileage, thirst for oil, and Hot interior due to the hot nature of a rotary engine. The MX-5 seems every bit as quick and is very agile! I love the sound of the engine, quick shifts, and solid road feel! The Bose sound system is terrific and adjusts automatically to compensate for ambient noise top up or down. The feel behind the wheel is fantastic! The dash layout is classic european sports car, I love turn indicator placement!

Let a little Zoom Zoom change your life!
By Colberto on 09/23/09 09:34 AM (PDT)

I own two cars now, Miata and an Acura TL. One practical, one fun. One for the brain, one for the heart. And in terms of sheer fun and sun, the Mazda Miata delivers. The PRHT is outstanding. Light, fast, easy and most importantly, no loss of trunk space..AMAZING! The interior is well designed..yes the door mounted cup holders are needed if you have the manual transmission! It has just the right amount of power to weight ratio to make it fun...great gearing provides fun accelerations, the low center of gravity lets you enjoy tight turns. And the exterior styling still turns heads and makes you smile. So go out there and put some zoom zoom back in your life, you'll thank me later.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.