Believe what you hear...it's fun
By bh76 on
2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
One word: FUN. Everyone says it but it's true. Bought used with 29K miles and after 10K more miles I can say that I've had zero problems. I drove it from VA to Maine with a passenger & luggage and loved every mile. Using the top takes mere seconds. Fun & practical daily driver too w/ excellent turning radius & good ride quality. Lots of little cubbies for smaller things. Maintenance: cheap so far. Of course with most any small roadster you'll run into storage issues. For example, I can't fit my golf bag in the trunk without removing the longer clubs. Performance: Nothing earth-shattering - just FUN. Its relatively diminuitive size and mass make it very maneuverable and acceleration is brisk.
Favorite Features
Fun rear wheel drive, quick manual top, quick and responsive handling, smooth- shifting 5-speed manual trans.
Suggested Improvements
I wish 5th gear was taller; RPMs are a little hyper at hwy speeds. If I had researched a little more I'd have bought one with limited-slip differential b/c of the rear inside tire slipping under acceleration out of corners; an aftermarket LSD is available though.