Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Most Fun Car Ever
By G. Wayne Baggett

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned the car a year now and have about 3500 miles on it. It is undoubtedly the most fun car I have ever owned or driven. Also the sexiest looking. The appearance of the 3rd generation version is a major improvement. The handling is exceptional. It could use a little more power and low end torque, but a turbo would fix that. Maybe a MazdaSpeed version in 2008. I wish I had waited a year and got the PRHT, but I would have sacrificed a year of great driving pleasure. You can't go wrong with value and fun for under $30K.

Steering wheel controls, great looking inside and out, superior handling, Just flat out fun to drive.

Add turbo for 2008. Upgrade leather seats and interior trim. Other than that, wouldn't change a thing.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Hoyt Andres

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is the 4th new Miata that I've owned. I've had at least one of all 3 body styles. This one is great, but the trunk opening almost made me keep my 1999. It's just too small. And the lack of a spare tire WAS a problem for me when I had a blowout at 9pm at night and the flat fix kit didn't work. AAA towed me to a motel and then came back to get me the next morning and towed me to the Mazda dealer (the only place that said they had a tire that fit). Fortunately, they were able to repair the tire. Overall the additional power of the 2006 and the new features were the deciding factors for me.

The MX-5 driving experience is what it's all about! This car (and all my other Miatas) were MADE for driving on these mountain roads in Western North Carolina.

It's hard for me to believe that only a few of the 92 reviews that were posted when I read them mentioned the trunk opening. It's much smaller than the trunk opening in all previous Miatas. I can't believe that the Mazda engineers thought that golfers would not be upset.

Miata Smiles
By elvenprince

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I still am smiling! :-)

Copper Red color. Style of body. Performance.

Center console with cupholder useless. It should have been a compartment for items.

Fun and economical car
By Larry

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

On "The Dragon" in the Tennessee mountains, all but the fastest motorcycles hold me back. This car really handles well. I'm getting about 24-26 MPG. The manual top is very easy to open and close. In hot weather the top often clicks into its boot with just a simple backwards push. In cooler weather I have to twist back in the seat to click it into the boot. Either process takes 3 to 10 seconds. My wife is just 5"3" and needs to get out of the car seat to open and close. The red mica is beautiful on this car.

Handling, fit and finish, economical to purchase and maintain.

iPod/MP3 integration.

Fun to drive little roadster
By Michael

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have the 6 speed sport shift automatic and it makes you feel like you have a stick manual without the clutch. Also steering wheel shift paddles are fun to operate but takes some getting used to. Excellent handling and breaking.

Bose audio system, with audio pilot. Easy to drop and raise the top, in just seconds. Love the style and shape. Cornering, breaking and handling. Manual shifting of the 6 speed automatic with shift paddles...like Nascar. Just so fun to drive.

Just a little bit more power, maybe another 15-30 horses. Widen the seats by another inch or two (bottoms) and slim down the center console too. Better quality interior carpeting.