Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mx-5-miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Fun to drive little roadster
By Michael

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have the 6 speed sport shift automatic and it makes you feel like you have a stick manual without the clutch. Also steering wheel shift paddles are fun to operate but takes some getting used to. Excellent handling and breaking.

Favorite Features

Bose audio system, with audio pilot. Easy to drop and raise the top, in just seconds. Love the style and shape. Cornering, breaking and handling. Manual shifting of the 6 speed automatic with shift paddles...like Nascar. Just so fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Just a little bit more power, maybe another 15-30 horses. Widen the seats by another inch or two (bottoms) and slim down the center console too. Better quality interior carpeting.

Driving isn't boring anymore
By ValiantSailor

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ever own a car so fun that you looked for excuses to go driving, or taking the long way home? That's the Miata, or MX-5 as it's now called. This car is so responsive it seems the driver can control it with thoughts alone. Light...predictable...responsive...FUN! All this and 30MPG, too!

Favorite Features

The six-speed manual transmission is one of the smoothest I've ever encountered, with short throws that seem almost automatic. The air conditioner and heater are both excellent. I drive top down all winter long, because the heater works so well. Same with the a/c in the summer.

Suggested Improvements

Stock suspension needs a bit of tightening. The optional Mazdaspeed springs improve the car's look and its handling.

New to Roadsters
By Ron & Beverly Nezat

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The fact that my wife and I have logged over two thousand miles of fun in this automobile are the best statement of our impression. I seleceted the MX-5 over The Mustang GT rag top. The Mustang will push you back into the upholstery as long as you go in a straight line. the MX-5 on the other hand is an absolute "Driving experience"! We recently spent a weekend in the mountains of Arkansas. I have never had so much fun. The Six speed manual in the MX-5 is perfectly matched to the engine's spunky performance. Climbing and descending in the hills and curves is this cars specialty. Never have driven a car that was so much pure driving fun.

Favorite Features

Six Speed Manual is a large part of the enjoyment of this PURE sports car. Convertable top. is the essence of a sports car. It's like a motorcycle in its ability to connect you to your environment.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders in the center console are useless with the Manual shift. The cupholders in the doors are also useless unless you are drinking bottled water. Those will fit. Don't ever close the door with an open container in the cup holder. The contents continue to travel when the door stops.

The research was worth it
By rldpjd

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I spent a lot of time reading about sports cars in this category. Virtually all of the magazine reviews put the Miata over the Solstice. I knew why as soon as I drove the GT model Miata. Since Pontiac apparently was timid about producing the Solstice, and since I refuse to stand in long lines just to pay sticker (or above) my decision to buy the Miata GT was even easier. OK, I'd really like a little more power...maybe a turbocharger? That's the only suggestion I'd make to Mazda.

Favorite Features

Standard features like a/c, P/S, P/W and even ABS brakes that are OPTIONS on the Solstice.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a turbocharger, a V-6, or a 20- 25% power boost from more displacement?

First time Mazda driver.
By gonegolfin

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the MX-5 GT 6-speed at the end of March 2006. It is the True Red color and I have lost track of how many people have stopped me to ask questions about the car and in some cases asked if they could drive it. Obviously, my answer was no. The car has been exactly as described and lived up to all the pre-launch euphoria. It's impossible to overstate the "fun" factor of driving this car top-down. Outstanding!

Favorite Features

The exterior lines are fantastic. The interior, a little snug, is beautiful to look at and functional as well. The performance is spunky and the shifting is perfect. It beats, hands down, the Solstice and I prefer the Mazda over the Z-3 and Z-4. The stereo performs well at all speeds.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk space is limited. I can fit my golf clubs, which was a prerequisite, but I have to remove the driver and 3 wood from the bag to get it in. A little bigger trunk would be great. Also, lining the interior of the top and a "one-touch" up/down for both windows would be a nice touch.