Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Best Sports Car for the buck on planet
By Jeff B

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My Miata is incredibly fun to drive, quick, and gets about 29 mpg average. What more can you ask. There may be cars out there that handle better at 100 mph, but at normal driving speeds, I've never driven anything that handles better & rides better than a Miata. With excellent mileage, great reliability, and great performance, it's the guilt-free sports car. I had a Porsche years ago, and this is way better, overall. It's my second Miata, and I'll probably get another one after this. Just don't try it in the snow.

Handling, styling, EZ convertible top, engine/trans perfectly matched (6sp auto).

Stereo is okay, but could be better. Needs another inch of leg room.

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom
By Former Fiat Lover

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! Like a motorbike with four wheels. I love this car! I bought a new Fiat Spider in 1980 because I almost froze riding home from the mountains at Banff to Calgary at night. This Miata is to replace the Fiat while I rebuild it. I may never rebuild the Fiat because this Miata is sooo much better in all ways (except maybe the way the cupholder sticks you in the leg). What a blast! The gas mileage is even fairly good at over 30 mpg. I have found the long way home or to where I am going regardless of the cost of gas here in Canada. This roadster is really sooo much better than my Fiat Spider ever was.

Zippy engine, exhaust sound, on-rails-like handling, excellent top, good air and heater, decent gas mileage on regular(better but more expensive on premium). Zoom, Zoom, Zoom!!!

Get rid of the cup holders, put a storage compartment under the arm rest cover.

Be careful what you wish for
By Alex

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great handler with good power. Communicates well in corners and inspires confidence to push on. It has enough power to make pushing on fun. But beware, this is not a quiet ride. Engine speed at 70 mph is 3500rpm. The exhaust is loud at that rpm. Road noise comes through the wheel wells, and the tires throw up little pebbles which create noise. The car is low so egress and entry are difficult. Once inside a six footer will fit, but this is no Caddy (duh). Fuel economy is 25- 27 in mixed driving on any grade of gas-not great. Lastly, OEM Michelin Pilot Preceda are great in wet/dry, but useless in any light snow

I love the feeling that this is a sports car. It has few compromises. Love the exhaust sound, strong brakes, sticky tires in dry or wet, the orange color of the instruments at night, and the heating and ventilation (HVAC) are very quick to warm or cool the car.

I would love a lower final drive to decrease rpms at 70mph to about 3000 rpms. All gears are a little low. Gearing affects fuel economy. Key fob is delicate, and plastic cover has cracked. In sumary: Perfect for the enthusiast. For anyone else... take a looong test drive.

4 months of ownership
By Wink

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had the car for about 4 months now. It is a solid built car. When I hit a bump I may feel it but the car doesn't rattle or make any unpleasant sounds you might hear in a cheaply built car. The top is a snap to put down and back up again without getting out of the driver's seat. It handles like a dream, very responsive. What I don't like is a couple of things. One, the cup holders in the door are in the way. When I raise my left leg up my knee rests against the cup holder and it's uncomfortable. Second, I can't find a comfortable position with the seat. I have to have the seat back as far as it will go to keep my right leg from being uncomfortable. Then I am sittin straight up.

The firm handling and the sound of the exhaust pipes as I go through the gears are a thrill. The acceleration is fantastic. Just push down on the gas when driving 70 and I can feel it push me back into the seat. I like being able to put the top up or down with ease while sitting at traffc light.

Remove the cup holder in the door. Make Sirius radio afordable for the factory radio. After buying the car it costs around $700 to put the Sirius converter in the car. Move the gas pedal more toward the engine. It feels like the gas pedal is much closer to me than the clutch or brake.

Most fun for your money by far.
By Lee

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The MX5 is all about the driving experience. Hugging the curves, wind in your hair (if you have any), hearing the exhaust - it's all part of the enjoyment the Miata gives. Sure, it's a little small, but that's the main reason it's so fun. Under 2500lbs of auto makes going, stopping and turning quickly much easier. The engineers of this car nailed the '06+ design, as they have for the previous 2 generations. I use mine as a daily driver, and in the winter I just throw on some snow tires and go. It's 50/50 weight balance handles it great. If you're thinking of getting a Miata, go try one out. You'll be hooked.

Driving FUN! Drop top, short throw shifter, over .9G's of cornering grip. 6.5 seconds to 60, all while averaging 27mpg of mainly city driving. How can you beat that?

I'd like the dash to be a little higher quality looking, and a stereo with some decent power. And the seats from the 2005 model would be nice. Otherwise it's perfect - I wouldn't change anything else.