Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mx-5-miata - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

I'm addicted to this car.
By MarkInKC

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Bought new, last year's model. It's the car I've always wanted. I drive it hard; I can't help it. I like the acceleration and the cornering (I read it corners at 9.1Gs). On a day when the temperature is in the 70s, with the top down, it feels *unbelievably* good.

Favorite Features

Amazing handling. Can change lanes at 65mph in about 1 second. Seriously. No body roll. Weight distribution is 50/50. Super-easy convertible vinyl top goes down or up in a few seconds. Acceleration is good, but doesn't feel like 170hp in a super-light car.

Suggested Improvements

It feels like it has a little less than 170 horsepower, considering it's so light, but I can't afford anything faster. Top rubs on rollbar if seat all the way back. Will *not* go in snow due to fat tires and light weight. Black interior gets hot.

Significantly better than my '91
By warrendt

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is a fantastically fun car to drive. The power in the '06 is felt immediately upon pressing down on the accelerator. I took it to about 10 autocross events and it performed very well on the OEM street tires. The six speed transmission, however, required frequent shifting between second and third on faster courses. This is not a problem on the road as you can easily skip a gear without notice.

Favorite Features

The convertible top lowers and raises with one hand from the driver's seat without having to turn around. Handling is superb.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders on the door are uncomfortable on your knee during aggressive cornering.

Great fun car!
By Red Fanatic

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I owned a '93 Miata for 6 years before getting the '06. Bought from a dealer on eBay. This is a terrific car, fun to drive, and is my daily driver. Top seals well and keeps me dry in inclement weather. It's got great power/weight ratio and the 6-speed box is great.

Favorite Features

Seats, top design, engine power, 50-50 weight balance, it's just a great package altogether.

Suggested Improvements

I have trouble from time to time with the top bunching up when I put it down quickly. Drags on one of the ribs. Dealer has not been helpful with getting that fixed. Overall a pretty minor annoyance.

Total Awesomeness
By kroberts2000

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is awesome. I don't like driving, but this car is so fun, I can't help but smile when I'm behind the wheel. I live in Phoenix, and the top is always down. I've driven the car exactly once with the top up and that's because it was raining. No rain? No top! I look forward to my commute every day. This car makes going to work fun. Fun, fast, handles great. It's so hot in Phoenix, I'm getting a great tan just driving to and from work. Best buy for the money. I've never been happier with a car purchase. 110 degrees outside, I drive with the top down, and the A/C off because it's the best feeling in the world. Safer than a motorcycle, but just as fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The top is so easy to put up and down, I love it. Fun to drive. Steering wheel controls for the radio. The "wow" looks I get from my 3-year old daughter every time she sees me in this car. If you buy this car, be prepared to hear about how great it looks from everybody who sees you with it.

Suggested Improvements

None, nada, zilch. Don't change a thing. Unless you give them away for free, so everybody can enjoy this car.

Best MX5 yet
By Gary

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is the 2nd MX5 for me. The first I purchased new 94 red with tan leather and top 5 speed. I put 186000 miles on it and wished I had never sold it. This is car is the first used car I have purchased in over 30 years, but it only had 5700 miles on it. Is a 2006 Copper Red Mica and tan leather inside that I love and tan cloth top. 33 mpg and pure fun. Hope I'm as happy with this one as the 94.

Favorite Features

Looks, power, 6 speed, handling and stopping power . Everyone from little kids to older people rave about the looks . And fuel economy is a plus also.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders in the console aren't very user friendly. But who should be driving and eating at the same time. Eat in is the answer. I miss the storage compartment of my 94.