2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Zoom, Zoom, Zoom
By Former Fiat Lover on 05/01/08 16:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! Like a motorbike with four wheels. I love this car! I bought a new Fiat Spider in 1980 because I almost froze riding home from the mountains at Banff to Calgary at night. This Miata is to replace the Fiat while I rebuild it. I may never rebuild the Fiat because this Miata is sooo much better in all ways (except maybe the way the cupholder sticks you in the leg). What a blast! The gas mileage is even fairly good at over 30 mpg. I have found the long way home or to where I am going regardless of the cost of gas here in Canada. This roadster is really sooo much better than my Fiat Spider ever was.

Be careful what you wish for
By Alex on 02/20/08 17:44 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great handler with good power. Communicates well in corners and inspires confidence to push on. It has enough power to make pushing on fun. But beware, this is not a quiet ride. Engine speed at 70 mph is 3500rpm. The exhaust is loud at that rpm. Road noise comes through the wheel wells, and the tires throw up little pebbles which create noise. The car is low so egress and entry are difficult. Once inside a six footer will fit, but this is no Caddy (duh). Fuel economy is 25- 27 in mixed driving on any grade of gas-not great. Lastly, OEM Michelin Pilot Preceda are great in wet/dry, but useless in any light snow

4 months of ownership
By Wink on 12/14/07 15:32 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had the car for about 4 months now. It is a solid built car. When I hit a bump I may feel it but the car doesn't rattle or make any unpleasant sounds you might hear in a cheaply built car. The top is a snap to put down and back up again without getting out of the driver's seat. It handles like a dream, very responsive. What I don't like is a couple of things. One, the cup holders in the door are in the way. When I raise my left leg up my knee rests against the cup holder and it's uncomfortable. Second, I can't find a comfortable position with the seat. I have to have the seat back as far as it will go to keep my right leg from being uncomfortable. Then I am sittin straight up.

Most fun for your money by far.
By Lee on 12/04/07 13:50 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The MX5 is all about the driving experience. Hugging the curves, wind in your hair (if you have any), hearing the exhaust - it's all part of the enjoyment the Miata gives. Sure, it's a little small, but that's the main reason it's so fun. Under 2500lbs of auto makes going, stopping and turning quickly much easier. The engineers of this car nailed the '06+ design, as they have for the previous 2 generations. I use mine as a daily driver, and in the winter I just throw on some snow tires and go. It's 50/50 weight balance handles it great. If you're thinking of getting a Miata, go try one out. You'll be hooked.

I'm addicted to this car.
By MarkInKC on 11/21/07 20:35 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Bought new, last year's model. It's the car I've always wanted. I drive it hard; I can't help it. I like the acceleration and the cornering (I read it corners at 9.1Gs). On a day when the temperature is in the 70s, with the top down, it feels *unbelievably* good.

Significantly better than my '91
By warrendt on 11/16/07 11:14 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is a fantastically fun car to drive. The power in the '06 is felt immediately upon pressing down on the accelerator. I took it to about 10 autocross events and it performed very well on the OEM street tires. The six speed transmission, however, required frequent shifting between second and third on faster courses. This is not a problem on the road as you can easily skip a gear without notice.

Great fun car!
By Red Fanatic on 09/28/07 08:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I owned a '93 Miata for 6 years before getting the '06. Bought from a dealer on eBay. This is a terrific car, fun to drive, and is my daily driver. Top seals well and keeps me dry in inclement weather. It's got great power/weight ratio and the 6-speed box is great.

Total Awesomeness
By kroberts2000 on 06/19/07 13:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is awesome. I don't like driving, but this car is so fun, I can't help but smile when I'm behind the wheel. I live in Phoenix, and the top is always down. I've driven the car exactly once with the top up and that's because it was raining. No rain? No top! I look forward to my commute every day. This car makes going to work fun. Fun, fast, handles great. It's so hot in Phoenix, I'm getting a great tan just driving to and from work. Best buy for the money. I've never been happier with a car purchase. 110 degrees outside, I drive with the top down, and the A/C off because it's the best feeling in the world. Safer than a motorcycle, but just as fun to drive.

Best MX5 yet
By Gary on 06/10/07 15:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is the 2nd MX5 for me. The first I purchased new 94 red with tan leather and top 5 speed. I put 186000 miles on it and wished I had never sold it. This is car is the first used car I have purchased in over 30 years, but it only had 5700 miles on it. Is a 2006 Copper Red Mica and tan leather inside that I love and tan cloth top. 33 mpg and pure fun. Hope I'm as happy with this one as the 94.

MX-5 experience
By mx5 sport on 05/12/07 14:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I like the Miata for its sporty feeling and it is fun to drive. It is the roughest riding car I've ever owned and definitely wouldn't want to drive it on a long trip. This car is like it's glued to the road which is good for handling but not for ride comfort. It rides like it doesn't have springs much like a Go-Kart. The road noise inside car is quite loud also. Power wise it has no problem for get up and go. Miata is probably the best bang for the buck as far as little sports cars go. When driving in heavy rain you better slow way down as this car will get scary as it will hydroplane easily.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.