Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

owner
By Ava

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love my car. Continuous problems with the roof leaking and flooding inside the car behind the seats. The vents keep clogging where water runs off. Problem every rain season. Any suggestions?

Suggested Improvements

Solve the roof problem. Larger vents for water to run off.

My first one
By 1st time buyer

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this MX-5 barely used with 11900 miles. I have had a blast with this car driving through the mountains and back roads. Handling is impeccable and crisp. Power is more that adequate and braking is fantastic. It is snug bit comfortable once in the cock pit. Shifting is sweet with it's close ratio gears. Very smooth operation on both highway and back road driving. This is the first manual transmission I've driven in aprox 20 years and it was like riding a bicycle. Mpg has been 34 highway and 27 city. It is noisy with the top up but drop the top and you forget about any noise except the exhaust growl. Great car.

Favorite Features

Quick top operation, close gear ratio, performance and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system is pretty weak at any speed. Needs a big boost. center console is in need to padding and a telescoping steering week would be nice for shorter driver like myself or even adjustable pedals.

"WOW" Did I mention "WOW?"
By Sandor

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata 3rd Generation Limited 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car 04 Sep 2007. I bought it in Michigan and drove it home to Dallas. What can I say about the car other than wow? It handles like a motorcycle in the turns. Although I will admit it is not the greatest car for a 15 hour drive. But, it was not as bad as a motorcycle and yet just as fun. It has the easiest to operate top that I have ever seen. Has a very responsive and pretty powerful engine. Will stop on a dime and give you a nickel change. I have put over 25,000 miles on it and still love to drive it as much now as I did the day I bought it. It is not my daily driver, but I truly look forward to driving it every chance I get.

Favorite Features

The top, the sound of the engine, the style, the handling, the Bose system.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder in the door, the cup holder in the console, could use more horses under the hood, lower the suspension so it does not look like a 4X4. Nothing a set of Ohlins can't fix.

2nd Year of Use Review
By Marc Mushkin

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My 06 Mazda MX5 is a wonderful little car - "fun to drive" was a phrase I never understood until getting this car. It's great ... but: 1) having the cup holders on the doors is a dumb idea. They rub your thigh and if you ever put a drink there and forget when you open/close the door you'll have the drink flying all over (unless it's a NASA designed sealed cup). 2) The electronic keys are a disaster: I've had to change batteries four times in 2 years. One of my keys gave out entirely and it was replaced (warranty, thankfully). They tell me the keys "communicate" with my BlackBerry, so they constantly run the battery down. Really? In any case, this flaw is a real bummer!

Favorite Features

Convertible top - amazingly simple, elegant and functional

Suggested Improvements

As stated above: the keys MUST be fixed. I don't know if this has been addressed on later versions.

Catch me in the corners
By passepartout

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great car. No other car communicates to the driver like my mx-5, I have a 240sx, had a CRX and a MZ3s; whether its through the steering wheel, the seat, or the burble of the exhaust, this car rocks! The top is easy to operate, the exterior is beautiful and classic, and the interior is attractive. Great fun, won't kill your pocketbook and over 30mpg on the freeway, what more could you ask for? Initially looked at an RX-8.

Favorite Features

The drop top, the feeling of solidity, pure responsiveness of the engine, steering, and brakes, the exhaust note, and road grip that conveys confidence.

Suggested Improvements

Richer looking plastics. Less hard seats. More of a color contrasting interior. A smidgen more power for the auto.