Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mx-5-miata - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Wish I would've bought one sooner!
By OC Brian

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Much cheaper than a therapist...Excellent value in an automobile. Surprisingly comfortable; went for 3 hour ride and didn't feel "beat up" as expected. 6 speed manual gearbox easy to shift but ratios could be spaced a little farther apart. Build quality superb: No squeaks and rattles; much quieter than the Corvette I used to own. I prefer the Miata to the Corvette hands down; much better value for the dollar. Biggest complaint: Had to purchase a used donut spare tire as car originally fitted with run-flat tires that have subsequently been replaced with "regular" tires. Overall an excellent value and the top raises and lowers in seconds.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive; excellent handling vehicle. Engine and transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Center console cup holders are useless on manual transmission models; make that area a closeable storage cubby instead.

Why I love my Mazda Miata
By Rick

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you have never owned a Mazda Miata you might wonder why Miata owners are so loyal to Mazda, and so passionate about their cars. However, if you are lucky enough to own one, you already know: the Miata is happiness on wheels. In 28 years of driving, I've never owned a car that makes such an impression on people. Even strangers come up to ask me about the car. I've lost count of how many times I've heard, "Nice car!" but I can remember three occasions when people actually wanted to take a picture of the car. I can assure you that none of those things ever happened to me when I drove a Toyota Corolla. There is no better example of trouble free fun than a Mazda Miata.

Favorite Features

Incredible handling. Magical shift linkage.

Suggested Improvements

More power.

An excellent weekend car
By BrianSoCA

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Had been wanting one for quite a while. Got a GT model with all the bells and whistles and 6 sp. manual. Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy a stick again but glad I bought it. Solid build quality and corners as if it's on rails. Nice exhaust note. Small size makes it easy to keep clean. Chassis and engine combination is very balanced: Not so much power to get you into "trouble"; brakes are excellent.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Body structure is solid. Instrument panel layout is clean and legible. Top goes up or down quickly.

Suggested Improvements

Louder horn: Other drivers don't see me as car is so low and silver in color. I ordered a louder horn and plan to install it myself.

I love my Miata
By Paul

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased the Miata to use only when on special days. But since then, I have needed to use it as a commuter car. I commute 82 miles round trip each day. I have approximately 94,000 miles on the car and have never had a service call. I average 31.5 mpg in rush hour traffic. I can't wait for good weather to put the top down. The car is noisy and I wish the stereo were better. The seats could be upgraded, I have worn a hole in the driver side seat. But other then those issues, I love the car, and plan on buying another one when this one dies. I live in a snowy climate, and was told that the car would not work in the winter. I put 4 snow tires on it and it goes like a champ. No prob

Favorite Features

Fun to Drive, easy to put the top down, excellent mileage. Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Upgraded seats and fabric, better stereo system, better drink holders. Passenger floor mat that does not slide. My trunk leaks. Fix the leak.

Rained out in my 2006 MX5
By ldybyrd

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 2006 MX5. I use it for commute. I have problems when it rain. Every rain season the car floods from the drains inside the car. The dealership fixes it everytime for no charge. Concern problems continues. I am scared to drive or park the car outside in the rain. What should I do?

Favorite Features

Handles great!! Love everything else.