2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
My first one
By 1st time buyer on 10/05/09 12:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this MX-5 barely used with 11900 miles. I have had a blast with this car driving through the mountains and back roads. Handling is impeccable and crisp. Power is more that adequate and braking is fantastic. It is snug bit comfortable once in the cock pit. Shifting is sweet with it's close ratio gears. Very smooth operation on both highway and back road driving. This is the first manual transmission I've driven in aprox 20 years and it was like riding a bicycle. Mpg has been 34 highway and 27 city. It is noisy with the top up but drop the top and you forget about any noise except the exhaust growl. Great car.

"WOW" Did I mention "WOW?"
By Sandor on 09/01/09 06:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata 3rd Generation Limited 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car 04 Sep 2007. I bought it in Michigan and drove it home to Dallas. What can I say about the car other than wow? It handles like a motorcycle in the turns. Although I will admit it is not the greatest car for a 15 hour drive. But, it was not as bad as a motorcycle and yet just as fun. It has the easiest to operate top that I have ever seen. Has a very responsive and pretty powerful engine. Will stop on a dime and give you a nickel change. I have put over 25,000 miles on it and still love to drive it as much now as I did the day I bought it. It is not my daily driver, but I truly look forward to driving it every chance I get.

2nd Year of Use Review
By Marc Mushkin on 07/18/09 06:29 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My 06 Mazda MX5 is a wonderful little car - "fun to drive" was a phrase I never understood until getting this car. It's great ... but: 1) having the cup holders on the doors is a dumb idea. They rub your thigh and if you ever put a drink there and forget when you open/close the door you'll have the drink flying all over (unless it's a NASA designed sealed cup). 2) The electronic keys are a disaster: I've had to change batteries four times in 2 years. One of my keys gave out entirely and it was replaced (warranty, thankfully). They tell me the keys "communicate" with my BlackBerry, so they constantly run the battery down. Really? In any case, this flaw is a real bummer!

Catch me in the corners
By passepartout on 05/04/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great car. No other car communicates to the driver like my mx-5, I have a 240sx, had a CRX and a MZ3s; whether its through the steering wheel, the seat, or the burble of the exhaust, this car rocks! The top is easy to operate, the exterior is beautiful and classic, and the interior is attractive. Great fun, won't kill your pocketbook and over 30mpg on the freeway, what more could you ask for? Initially looked at an RX-8.

By Alex on 03/30/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is an update from "Be careful what you wish for" below. Mainly I write this Followup to praise the Continental Extreme Contact tires and the positive change they have wrought. I went from the OE Michelin run-flats to a slight wider (215 vs. 205) tire but kept the 45 series aspect ratio. In effect I made the tires a few millimeters taller and a bit wider. But the switch from run- flats has been amazing. The car has a much more comfy ride, with little in absolute performance loss. Light snow traction is great now, important here in CT. I did about 19k last year (33k total) and no mechanical problems. So thumbs up there. Everyone loves the car still, especially my wife.

Petite Car for a Petite Girl
By Girl on 03/18/09 16:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I rarely write reviews but I felt compelled to as I am truly in love with my car. I generally have short term relationships with cars but this one is a true keeper. People often compliment how well this car fits me. It can really handle corners at high speeds, I no longer have to step on my brakes like my fellow drivers. The top is easy to unlock and lock. This car is practical and fun!

Believe what you hear...it's fun
By bh76 on 02/05/09 12:26 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

One word: FUN. Everyone says it but it's true. Bought used with 29K miles and after 10K more miles I can say that I've had zero problems. I drove it from VA to Maine with a passenger & luggage and loved every mile. Using the top takes mere seconds. Fun & practical daily driver too w/ excellent turning radius & good ride quality. Lots of little cubbies for smaller things. Maintenance: cheap so far. Of course with most any small roadster you'll run into storage issues. For example, I can't fit my golf bag in the trunk without removing the longer clubs. Performance: Nothing earth-shattering - just FUN. Its relatively diminuitive size and mass make it very maneuverable and acceleration is brisk.

Better Than I Expected
By dan_k on 01/17/09 13:56 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After 3 years of driving the MX5 I'm impressed with nearly everything about the car. Although I only give it a 7 for comfort, it is very good for this size sports car. I thought a 2 hour drive would be all I could take when we first purchased the car. This fall my wife and I completed a 4 day trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway and my back and seat were no worse for the wear. However, I had just put on new Bridgestones, which out performed the stock Michelins in every way. This car is all about fun. It is a car for those who love to drive. Driving the MX5 is like operating a point and shoot camera. The car just goes wherever you point without any fuss and looks great while doing it.

Love it!
By Marie on 07/24/08 12:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased this sportscar two days ago and I love it. I owned an old 1600 Honda roadstar in college and it's great to be back in one again. I love it and hope to continue driving it for the next 5-10 years. I'm a young and very attractive professional and I don't know too much about sportscars, but I've have received numerous compliments on the street and on the highway in this car and the ride with the top down is fantastic! I live in southern california the highway commute is a blast! I wish someone had told me about Miata years ago!

Best Sports Car for the buck on planet
By Jeff B on 07/13/08 06:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My Miata is incredibly fun to drive, quick, and gets about 29 mpg average. What more can you ask. There may be cars out there that handle better at 100 mph, but at normal driving speeds, I've never driven anything that handles better & rides better than a Miata. With excellent mileage, great reliability, and great performance, it's the guilt-free sports car. I had a Porsche years ago, and this is way better, overall. It's my second Miata, and I'll probably get another one after this. Just don't try it in the snow.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.