Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Love it!
By s

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for a convertible I could afford since I live in sunny San Diego and I was getting depressed going to work and always missing the sun. So - I tried everything from the Jeep to the MINI convertible and ended up trying the Miata - and that was it! It was so nice and fun to drive and so much bigger than the 2005 model. Looks like an old British race car and I get a ton of compliments!

The Bose system makes a big difference - totally invest in it!

Automated top, even though this year's model is super easy to get on and off.

12000 miles of mountain driving
By j wertzbaugher

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our MX5 in Phoenix and promptly put on 4000 miles touring National Parks in AZ, Utah, Calif. and OR. Then after a winter break we did another 8000 through Calif. NV., Utah, CO., S. D., WY, Montana, Alberta, B.C., Yukon and finally home to Alaska. Ninety five percent with the top down (made ultra easy with the slick one arm set-up) and 85 % on back mountain roads. The handling is absolutely unbelievable! Never wanted for power. Enough trunk space for two months worth of personal gear, sleeping bags and tent. I've recently driven an 04 Jag, an 02 Z3 and an 03 SLK; I would not even consider a straight-up trade.

Handling and silky motor.

Better cup holder position; period...nothing else!

My second and favorite
By Johnj

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second Miata. The first was a 95. I absolutely love this one too. It is more responsive and Mazda has achieved the desired union of car and driver. I don't feel as much like I'm driving a car as I have extended my body. Everything is in exactly the right place. The shifting cannot be better. The power is more than adequate. And, my mileage is actually running at about 30 mpg with a combination of city and highway - 70% city. I couldn't be happier with the car... So much so, that we bought another one a few months later for my wife, trading in a Mercedes SLK.

Love the new roof design. I wasn't unhappy with the size of the previous model, but the additional interior room is appreciated. I like the steering wheel mounted audio controls.

Frankly I find the 6 speed transmission more annoying than useful, 5 speeds is plenty. The bolsters on the seat bottoms are too narrow and/or hard... not all of us weigh 108 pounds.

A Nice Fit
By Cleve Hardman

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The new MX-5 version for 2006 is a significant upgrade. It retains the sports car feel linked back to European sports cars of the 50's through 70's with style and comfort upgrades consistent with higher-end models. There is plenty of comfort for the driver and passenger.

The HID headlights make a significant statement. The flared fenders that accommodate 17-inch run-flat tires are also a big improvement.

I understand a power, hard-top convertible is being rolled out and that will be a great option. I would also suggest some type of clam-shell covering to store the current cloth or vinyl top when down.

Most fun EVER!
By Joe

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've wanted one since 1990, but lived in Brooklyn. Got a copper red 5 speed Touring with 6-cd changer after I moved to SC. This is the most fun I've ever had in a car. Corners great, accelerates well, I never get tired of driving it. With the top down, it is so good I'd rate it an 11 if that was an option. With the top up, your view out the back is limited, and difficult to see behind and blind spot. That is not a problem with the top down. After 3 months I still love it as much as the first time. Looks great, feels great, drives great, sounds great. BUY THIS CAR!

Driving with the top down. Accelerating in turns. Cranking the radio and singing out loud. Having people say "nice ride!" Radio controls & cruise control on the steering wheel. Turns and stops on a dime. Easy to put top up/down while in driver's seat.

1. Cup holders in center console are useless (but there are bottle holders in door) 2. Allow sun visor to swing to the side. I have to put a Post-It on the side window in the morning to block the sun. 3. Speakers behind the driver without having to buy Bose.

• SUV