Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Best car I've ever owned.
By Jeff Craddock

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After four weeks and over two thousand miles, my enthusiasm for this car continues to grow. My wife no longer asks me where I'm going when I dash out the front door at 10 PM--she knows I have to go for a drive. I've driven it on back roads, on a very congested I-95, and the infamous DC Beltway. It handles all condition with aplomb. The more powerful engine of this third generation Miata makes passing a breeze and the superb handling makes it easy to adjust to about anything driving conditions can throw at you. In short, this car is a joy to drive!

Where to start? Design is a classic--the new competitors may be more flashy, but this edition of the MX-5 will stand the test of time. More power than previous editions and a very simple, but elegant interior. And I love the Galaxy Gray finish. The cloth top is easy and fast to operate.

I'd like to see Mazdaspeed springs as an option. I'm planning to put them on mine to lower the car and further reduce the lean through corners. The car already performs beautifully, but the MS springs might make things just about perfect.

Awesome roadster
By philmx5

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is just a blast to drive. After looking at the competition this became an easy choice. It just felt right from the moment I got in the car, put the top down, and took off. It think it looks great without being overbearing like the expensive roadsters. The car is just simplistic and fun!

6-speed automatic transmission with the paddle shifters, nice size trunk, audio controls on the steering wheel, all the storage compartments, easy top down operation.

Back speakers without having to upgrade to the expensive Bose system. Compass on the rearview mirror would be nice.

Love it!
By s

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for a convertible I could afford since I live in sunny San Diego and I was getting depressed going to work and always missing the sun. So - I tried everything from the Jeep to the MINI convertible and ended up trying the Miata - and that was it! It was so nice and fun to drive and so much bigger than the 2005 model. Looks like an old British race car and I get a ton of compliments!

The Bose system makes a big difference - totally invest in it!

Automated top, even though this year's model is super easy to get on and off.

12000 miles of mountain driving
By j wertzbaugher

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our MX5 in Phoenix and promptly put on 4000 miles touring National Parks in AZ, Utah, Calif. and OR. Then after a winter break we did another 8000 through Calif. NV., Utah, CO., S. D., WY, Montana, Alberta, B.C., Yukon and finally home to Alaska. Ninety five percent with the top down (made ultra easy with the slick one arm set-up) and 85 % on back mountain roads. The handling is absolutely unbelievable! Never wanted for power. Enough trunk space for two months worth of personal gear, sleeping bags and tent. I've recently driven an 04 Jag, an 02 Z3 and an 03 SLK; I would not even consider a straight-up trade.

Handling and silky motor.

Better cup holder position; period...nothing else!

My second and favorite
By Johnj

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second Miata. The first was a 95. I absolutely love this one too. It is more responsive and Mazda has achieved the desired union of car and driver. I don't feel as much like I'm driving a car as I have extended my body. Everything is in exactly the right place. The shifting cannot be better. The power is more than adequate. And, my mileage is actually running at about 30 mpg with a combination of city and highway - 70% city. I couldn't be happier with the car... So much so, that we bought another one a few months later for my wife, trading in a Mercedes SLK.

Love the new roof design. I wasn't unhappy with the size of the previous model, but the additional interior room is appreciated. I like the steering wheel mounted audio controls.

Frankly I find the 6 speed transmission more annoying than useful, 5 speeds is plenty. The bolsters on the seat bottoms are too narrow and/or hard... not all of us weigh 108 pounds.