Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

MX 5 pulls us out of a rut.
By dkieffer

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is not for a person who wants basic transportation. This car is for someone who truly enjoys driving. With four children we had become the typical kid hauling, van owning parents. Not having driven a stick for 15 years, I had forgotten how much fun it is to go through the gears. Especially the way this car shifts and welcomes high revs, it really puts a smile on my face. My wife and I are enjoying short getaway trips and evening drives. We now look forward to traveling the winding country roads of southeastern Ohio instead of avoiding them. Our MX 5 has pulled us out of our rut.

Exterior styling gets plenty of lookers and the interior fit comfort is better than I thought Id find. The instrumentation is perfectly placed and everything is within easy reach of the driver.

I would like to add HomeLink as an option as well as variable intermittent wipers.

Dream Car
By Bradford

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is the most amazing car I have ever owned. It reminds me of the last sports car I had, a 1985 Honda Prelude, only this car is 10x more fun to drive. It has great acceleration, is easy to drive, and shifts like nothing I have ever driven. It takes corners like you are going straight, and asks for more. I wish I had bought this car five years ago. It will make you feel 10 years younger.

Where can I start? It looks amazing, and is one of the best engineered machines I have ever seen. I guess if I had to pick one feature it would be the fact that you can open and close the top with one hand in about 5 seconds.

It would be hard to improve anything on this car. I would prefer that Mazda not change a thing. Only suggestion is choose better colors next year (blue looks like the kiddie cars at Disney World) and red is weak too (I picked black).

Best car I've ever owned.
By Jeff Craddock

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After four weeks and over two thousand miles, my enthusiasm for this car continues to grow. My wife no longer asks me where I'm going when I dash out the front door at 10 PM--she knows I have to go for a drive. I've driven it on back roads, on a very congested I-95, and the infamous DC Beltway. It handles all condition with aplomb. The more powerful engine of this third generation Miata makes passing a breeze and the superb handling makes it easy to adjust to about anything driving conditions can throw at you. In short, this car is a joy to drive!

Where to start? Design is a classic--the new competitors may be more flashy, but this edition of the MX-5 will stand the test of time. More power than previous editions and a very simple, but elegant interior. And I love the Galaxy Gray finish. The cloth top is easy and fast to operate.

I'd like to see Mazdaspeed springs as an option. I'm planning to put them on mine to lower the car and further reduce the lean through corners. The car already performs beautifully, but the MS springs might make things just about perfect.

Awesome roadster
By philmx5

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is just a blast to drive. After looking at the competition this became an easy choice. It just felt right from the moment I got in the car, put the top down, and took off. It think it looks great without being overbearing like the expensive roadsters. The car is just simplistic and fun!

6-speed automatic transmission with the paddle shifters, nice size trunk, audio controls on the steering wheel, all the storage compartments, easy top down operation.

Back speakers without having to upgrade to the expensive Bose system. Compass on the rearview mirror would be nice.

Love it!
By s

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for a convertible I could afford since I live in sunny San Diego and I was getting depressed going to work and always missing the sun. So - I tried everything from the Jeep to the MINI convertible and ended up trying the Miata - and that was it! It was so nice and fun to drive and so much bigger than the 2005 model. Looks like an old British race car and I get a ton of compliments!

The Bose system makes a big difference - totally invest in it!

Automated top, even though this year's model is super easy to get on and off.

• SUV