Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Most Helpful|
MX-5 experience
By mx5 sport

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I like the Miata for its sporty feeling and it is fun to drive. It is the roughest riding car I've ever owned and definitely wouldn't want to drive it on a long trip. This car is like it's glued to the road which is good for handling but not for ride comfort. It rides like it doesn't have springs much like a Go-Kart. The road noise inside car is quite loud also. Power wise it has no problem for get up and go. Miata is probably the best bang for the buck as far as little sports cars go. When driving in heavy rain you better slow way down as this car will get scary as it will hydroplane easily.

Favorite Features

Ease of putting top up and down. Handles very well. Gas mileage 31-35 mpg. Handles and corners like it's on a rail.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for driver. Soften the ride a little. Lessen road noise also. Move the engine oil filter or make access to it better as it is hard to get at to change.

Catch me in the corners
By passepartout

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great car. No other car communicates to the driver like my mx-5, I have a 240sx, had a CRX and a MZ3s; whether its through the steering wheel, the seat, or the burble of the exhaust, this car rocks! The top is easy to operate, the exterior is beautiful and classic, and the interior is attractive. Great fun, won't kill your pocketbook and over 30mpg on the freeway, what more could you ask for? Initially looked at an RX-8.

Favorite Features

The drop top, the feeling of solidity, pure responsiveness of the engine, steering, and brakes, the exhaust note, and road grip that conveys confidence.

Suggested Improvements

Richer looking plastics. Less hard seats. More of a color contrasting interior. A smidgen more power for the auto.

Why I love my Mazda Miata
By Rick

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you have never owned a Mazda Miata you might wonder why Miata owners are so loyal to Mazda, and so passionate about their cars. However, if you are lucky enough to own one, you already know: the Miata is happiness on wheels. In 28 years of driving, I've never owned a car that makes such an impression on people. Even strangers come up to ask me about the car. I've lost count of how many times I've heard, "Nice car!" but I can remember three occasions when people actually wanted to take a picture of the car. I can assure you that none of those things ever happened to me when I drove a Toyota Corolla. There is no better example of trouble free fun than a Mazda Miata.

Favorite Features

Incredible handling. Magical shift linkage.

Suggested Improvements

More power.

Best Fun Factor on 4 wheels - 2006 Miata
By 2006sonata

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

These cars are so awesome. Fun, fun, fun, and reliable as can be. Cheap to fill up (small tank). Don't buy one of these if envious stares annoy you. Don't buy one of these if you'd much prefer to spend a lot of money on a true roadster. Don't buy one of these if you are on a first name basis with you auto mechanic and prefer to stay that way. I don't have the top of the line 'leather' version of the car, but slapped on some upgraded 17" alloy wheels, and great tires ( Michelin Pilot Super Sport), and handling actually improves dramatically - didn't think that was possible.

Favorite Features

Top Down Fun!

Suggested Improvements

They did it right. Until they really change the body style, can't see buying a new one. You can find low mileage miata (anything in 3rd generation is suggested) so save your money.

Best MX5 yet
By Gary

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is the 2nd MX5 for me. The first I purchased new 94 red with tan leather and top 5 speed. I put 186000 miles on it and wished I had never sold it. This is car is the first used car I have purchased in over 30 years, but it only had 5700 miles on it. Is a 2006 Copper Red Mica and tan leather inside that I love and tan cloth top. 33 mpg and pure fun. Hope I'm as happy with this one as the 94.

Favorite Features

Looks, power, 6 speed, handling and stopping power . Everyone from little kids to older people rave about the looks . And fuel economy is a plus also.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders in the console aren't very user friendly. But who should be driving and eating at the same time. Eat in is the answer. I miss the storage compartment of my 94.