Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Harley Davidson Replacement
By gus38

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Traded an '04 Ultra Classic and haven't looked back. The MX5 is a 2-dr/4wh replacement. It has all of the thrill of driving with the wind without having to worry about the weather. Top up/top down takes a few seconds. I have the Gr Touring with 7-spkr Bose system. Sound is great all the time. Cloth brown top with 6-spd manual. This car is by far the most fun vehicle i have driven. Past vehicles include Audi A6 & A4 Cab. I do wish there was some better answer for spare than Fix a Flat and run flat tires. Mileage has been 28 MPG combined. All in all it is hard to imagine a replacement for the HD but this car is IT. Decide on the top up/down when you get in the car. Simple

Ease of top operation; Bose 7-spkr system; 6-spd manual; Handling Great brakes

Figure out something more than run flat or fix a flat for spare.

Bad computer
By oldfartfighter

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I love the car, but, my wife will not ride with me any more, the damn car (computer) takes a crap if you park next to or close to overhead power lines. do not trust the car any more, last week we went for a ride to view fall leaves and stopped at a road side tavern for a brew, went to car , it would not allow the "key" to start, after much frustration and calling a tow truck operator, my wife looked at the manual and found that overhead power lines could cause a problem, enlisted some cowboys from tavern and pushed the car about 6' away from the overhead powerline, walah, it started. now will not venture any further than to town 2 miles do not trust the SOB

great looking and well built but the electronics lousy, too bad for a car like this, my 3rd one and last!

get rid of the many BS computer stuff, a KEY IS GREAT

Better than a Sky or Solstice!
By MikeW1956

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I just bought my used 2006 GT a few weeks ago with only 22K miles on it. I've driven a number of two-seater convertibles, mostly Honda del Sols and one Toyota MR2 Spyder. The Miata definitely feels like more car -- the leather seats seem solid and luxurious, and I love the dashboard layout, redundant layout controls, remote entry, carpeting and cloth top. The trunk is practical, although not as large as the del Sol's. The only real drawback so far has been the gas mileage. My del Sol averaged 32-33 mpg in mostly city driving; first two fill-ups with the Miata have shown 24.9 and 25.9 (the second with about 50% freeway driving). That's in line with published figures, but is still not great.

Style, bright red color, tail light design, 10-spoke wheels, cloth top, leather seats.

Lower the seats a bit, since my head hits the closed soft top; install real roll bars (it appears the roll bars are for show only -- I think they're made of plastic); improve gas mileage and/or make engines use regular unleaded gas instead of the recommended premium.

Wish I would've bought one sooner!
By OC Brian

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Much cheaper than a therapist...Excellent value in an automobile. Surprisingly comfortable; went for 3 hour ride and didn't feel "beat up" as expected. 6 speed manual gearbox easy to shift but ratios could be spaced a little farther apart. Build quality superb: No squeaks and rattles; much quieter than the Corvette I used to own. I prefer the Miata to the Corvette hands down; much better value for the dollar. Biggest complaint: Had to purchase a used donut spare tire as car originally fitted with run-flat tires that have subsequently been replaced with "regular" tires. Overall an excellent value and the top raises and lowers in seconds.

Fun to drive; excellent handling vehicle. Engine and transmission.

Center console cup holders are useless on manual transmission models; make that area a closeable storage cubby instead.

An excellent weekend car
By BrianSoCA

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Had been wanting one for quite a while. Got a GT model with all the bells and whistles and 6 sp. manual. Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy a stick again but glad I bought it. Solid build quality and corners as if it's on rails. Nice exhaust note. Small size makes it easy to keep clean. Chassis and engine combination is very balanced: Not so much power to get you into "trouble"; brakes are excellent.

Fun to drive. Body structure is solid. Instrument panel layout is clean and legible. Top goes up or down quickly.

Louder horn: Other drivers don't see me as car is so low and silver in color. I ordered a louder horn and plan to install it myself.