2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Harley Davidson Replacement
By gus38 on 06/05/13 15:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Traded an '04 Ultra Classic and haven't looked back. The MX5 is a 2-dr/4wh replacement. It has all of the thrill of driving with the wind without having to worry about the weather. Top up/top down takes a few seconds. I have the Gr Touring with 7-spkr Bose system. Sound is great all the time. Cloth brown top with 6-spd manual. This car is by far the most fun vehicle i have driven. Past vehicles include Audi A6 & A4 Cab. I do wish there was some better answer for spare than Fix a Flat and run flat tires. Mileage has been 28 MPG combined. All in all it is hard to imagine a replacement for the HD but this car is IT. Decide on the top up/down when you get in the car. Simple

Bad computer
By oldfartfighter on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I love the car, but, my wife will not ride with me any more, the damn car (computer) takes a crap if you park next to or close to overhead power lines. do not trust the car any more, last week we went for a ride to view fall leaves and stopped at a road side tavern for a brew, went to car , it would not allow the "key" to start, after much frustration and calling a tow truck operator, my wife looked at the manual and found that overhead power lines could cause a problem, enlisted some cowboys from tavern and pushed the car about 6' away from the overhead powerline, walah, it started. now will not venture any further than to town 2 miles do not trust the SOB

Better than a Sky or Solstice!
By MikeW1956 on 09/01/10 16:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I just bought my used 2006 GT a few weeks ago with only 22K miles on it. I've driven a number of two-seater convertibles, mostly Honda del Sols and one Toyota MR2 Spyder. The Miata definitely feels like more car -- the leather seats seem solid and luxurious, and I love the dashboard layout, redundant layout controls, remote entry, carpeting and cloth top. The trunk is practical, although not as large as the del Sol's. The only real drawback so far has been the gas mileage. My del Sol averaged 32-33 mpg in mostly city driving; first two fill-ups with the Miata have shown 24.9 and 25.9 (the second with about 50% freeway driving). That's in line with published figures, but is still not great.

Wish I would've bought one sooner!
By OC Brian on 08/07/10 15:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Much cheaper than a therapist...Excellent value in an automobile. Surprisingly comfortable; went for 3 hour ride and didn't feel "beat up" as expected. 6 speed manual gearbox easy to shift but ratios could be spaced a little farther apart. Build quality superb: No squeaks and rattles; much quieter than the Corvette I used to own. I prefer the Miata to the Corvette hands down; much better value for the dollar. Biggest complaint: Had to purchase a used donut spare tire as car originally fitted with run-flat tires that have subsequently been replaced with "regular" tires. Overall an excellent value and the top raises and lowers in seconds.

An excellent weekend car
By BrianSoCA on 07/23/10 07:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Had been wanting one for quite a while. Got a GT model with all the bells and whistles and 6 sp. manual. Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy a stick again but glad I bought it. Solid build quality and corners as if it's on rails. Nice exhaust note. Small size makes it easy to keep clean. Chassis and engine combination is very balanced: Not so much power to get you into "trouble"; brakes are excellent.

2nd Year of Use Review
By Marc Mushkin on 07/18/09 06:29 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My 06 Mazda MX5 is a wonderful little car - "fun to drive" was a phrase I never understood until getting this car. It's great ... but: 1) having the cup holders on the doors is a dumb idea. They rub your thigh and if you ever put a drink there and forget when you open/close the door you'll have the drink flying all over (unless it's a NASA designed sealed cup). 2) The electronic keys are a disaster: I've had to change batteries four times in 2 years. One of my keys gave out entirely and it was replaced (warranty, thankfully). They tell me the keys "communicate" with my BlackBerry, so they constantly run the battery down. Really? In any case, this flaw is a real bummer!

Petite Car for a Petite Girl
By Girl on 03/18/09 16:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I rarely write reviews but I felt compelled to as I am truly in love with my car. I generally have short term relationships with cars but this one is a true keeper. People often compliment how well this car fits me. It can really handle corners at high speeds, I no longer have to step on my brakes like my fellow drivers. The top is easy to unlock and lock. This car is practical and fun!

Better Than I Expected
By dan_k on 01/17/09 13:56 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After 3 years of driving the MX5 I'm impressed with nearly everything about the car. Although I only give it a 7 for comfort, it is very good for this size sports car. I thought a 2 hour drive would be all I could take when we first purchased the car. This fall my wife and I completed a 4 day trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway and my back and seat were no worse for the wear. However, I had just put on new Bridgestones, which out performed the stock Michelins in every way. This car is all about fun. It is a car for those who love to drive. Driving the MX5 is like operating a point and shoot camera. The car just goes wherever you point without any fuss and looks great while doing it.

Love it!
By Marie on 07/24/08 12:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased this sportscar two days ago and I love it. I owned an old 1600 Honda roadstar in college and it's great to be back in one again. I love it and hope to continue driving it for the next 5-10 years. I'm a young and very attractive professional and I don't know too much about sportscars, but I've have received numerous compliments on the street and on the highway in this car and the ride with the top down is fantastic! I live in southern california the highway commute is a blast! I wish someone had told me about Miata years ago!

Best Sports Car for the buck on planet
By Jeff B on 07/13/08 06:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My Miata is incredibly fun to drive, quick, and gets about 29 mpg average. What more can you ask. There may be cars out there that handle better at 100 mph, but at normal driving speeds, I've never driven anything that handles better & rides better than a Miata. With excellent mileage, great reliability, and great performance, it's the guilt-free sports car. I had a Porsche years ago, and this is way better, overall. It's my second Miata, and I'll probably get another one after this. Just don't try it in the snow.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.