Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

My 5th Miata
By brianmc2014

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I currently own a 2006 Miata Sport and it is my 5th one. I bought first year model they came out and they are unbeatable for the money.All the ones I've had average close to 30mpg and I have spent $0 dollars on any of them. They're the most reliable and dependable cars I've ever owned. I've had the Honda S2000 and it's expensive to upkeep..preminum gas,tires are staggered so you can't rotate and insurance is outrageous.. the shear fun factor alone this these Miata's is priceless.i've owned every convertible on the market ( or pretty close) and I always come back to the Miata.Only issue I've ever had with these cars is the rain drains clogging up and water standing in the passenger floorboard

cheap to own and keep up. parts are cheap. handling is insane. great value

rain drains tend to clog up and water stands in the passenger floorboards. Keeping those drains clean is of the most utmost importantance to prevent issue.Mazda knows of this design flaw and offers a kit to correct this for $700.. maybe make the drains more straight down and take out the curves

Why I love my Mazda Miata
By Rick

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you have never owned a Mazda Miata you might wonder why Miata owners are so loyal to Mazda, and so passionate about their cars. However, if you are lucky enough to own one, you already know: the Miata is happiness on wheels. In 28 years of driving, I've never owned a car that makes such an impression on people. Even strangers come up to ask me about the car. I've lost count of how many times I've heard, "Nice car!" but I can remember three occasions when people actually wanted to take a picture of the car. I can assure you that none of those things ever happened to me when I drove a Toyota Corolla. There is no better example of trouble free fun than a Mazda Miata.

Incredible handling. Magical shift linkage.

More power.

I love my Miata
By Paul

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased the Miata to use only when on special days. But since then, I have needed to use it as a commuter car. I commute 82 miles round trip each day. I have approximately 94,000 miles on the car and have never had a service call. I average 31.5 mpg in rush hour traffic. I can't wait for good weather to put the top down. The car is noisy and I wish the stereo were better. The seats could be upgraded, I have worn a hole in the driver side seat. But other then those issues, I love the car, and plan on buying another one when this one dies. I live in a snowy climate, and was told that the car would not work in the winter. I put 4 snow tires on it and it goes like a champ. No prob

Fun to Drive, easy to put the top down, excellent mileage. Fun to drive

Upgraded seats and fabric, better stereo system, better drink holders. Passenger floor mat that does not slide. My trunk leaks. Fix the leak.

By Alex

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is an update from "Be careful what you wish for" below. Mainly I write this Followup to praise the Continental Extreme Contact tires and the positive change they have wrought. I went from the OE Michelin run-flats to a slight wider (215 vs. 205) tire but kept the 45 series aspect ratio. In effect I made the tires a few millimeters taller and a bit wider. But the switch from run- flats has been amazing. The car has a much more comfy ride, with little in absolute performance loss. Light snow traction is great now, important here in CT. I did about 19k last year (33k total) and no mechanical problems. So thumbs up there. Everyone loves the car still, especially my wife.

Same as when I bought it. See below.

Second gear is still grumpy when cold. Switched to Redline gear oil, but still hard to engage 2nd when cold. Has been since new. Gearing is still really high, particularly in 6th when highway cruising, which I do often.

4 months of ownership
By Wink

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had the car for about 4 months now. It is a solid built car. When I hit a bump I may feel it but the car doesn't rattle or make any unpleasant sounds you might hear in a cheaply built car. The top is a snap to put down and back up again without getting out of the driver's seat. It handles like a dream, very responsive. What I don't like is a couple of things. One, the cup holders in the door are in the way. When I raise my left leg up my knee rests against the cup holder and it's uncomfortable. Second, I can't find a comfortable position with the seat. I have to have the seat back as far as it will go to keep my right leg from being uncomfortable. Then I am sittin straight up.

The firm handling and the sound of the exhaust pipes as I go through the gears are a thrill. The acceleration is fantastic. Just push down on the gas when driving 70 and I can feel it push me back into the seat. I like being able to put the top up or down with ease while sitting at traffc light.

Remove the cup holder in the door. Make Sirius radio afordable for the factory radio. After buying the car it costs around $700 to put the Sirius converter in the car. Move the gas pedal more toward the engine. It feels like the gas pedal is much closer to me than the clutch or brake.