2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Why I love my Mazda Miata
By Rick on 07/29/10 22:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you have never owned a Mazda Miata you might wonder why Miata owners are so loyal to Mazda, and so passionate about their cars. However, if you are lucky enough to own one, you already know: the Miata is happiness on wheels. In 28 years of driving, I've never owned a car that makes such an impression on people. Even strangers come up to ask me about the car. I've lost count of how many times I've heard, "Nice car!" but I can remember three occasions when people actually wanted to take a picture of the car. I can assure you that none of those things ever happened to me when I drove a Toyota Corolla. There is no better example of trouble free fun than a Mazda Miata.

I love my Miata
By Paul on 05/20/10 11:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased the Miata to use only when on special days. But since then, I have needed to use it as a commuter car. I commute 82 miles round trip each day. I have approximately 94,000 miles on the car and have never had a service call. I average 31.5 mpg in rush hour traffic. I can't wait for good weather to put the top down. The car is noisy and I wish the stereo were better. The seats could be upgraded, I have worn a hole in the driver side seat. But other then those issues, I love the car, and plan on buying another one when this one dies. I live in a snowy climate, and was told that the car would not work in the winter. I put 4 snow tires on it and it goes like a champ. No prob

By Alex on 03/30/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is an update from "Be careful what you wish for" below. Mainly I write this Followup to praise the Continental Extreme Contact tires and the positive change they have wrought. I went from the OE Michelin run-flats to a slight wider (215 vs. 205) tire but kept the 45 series aspect ratio. In effect I made the tires a few millimeters taller and a bit wider. But the switch from run- flats has been amazing. The car has a much more comfy ride, with little in absolute performance loss. Light snow traction is great now, important here in CT. I did about 19k last year (33k total) and no mechanical problems. So thumbs up there. Everyone loves the car still, especially my wife.

4 months of ownership
By Wink on 12/14/07 15:32 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had the car for about 4 months now. It is a solid built car. When I hit a bump I may feel it but the car doesn't rattle or make any unpleasant sounds you might hear in a cheaply built car. The top is a snap to put down and back up again without getting out of the driver's seat. It handles like a dream, very responsive. What I don't like is a couple of things. One, the cup holders in the door are in the way. When I raise my left leg up my knee rests against the cup holder and it's uncomfortable. Second, I can't find a comfortable position with the seat. I have to have the seat back as far as it will go to keep my right leg from being uncomfortable. Then I am sittin straight up.

Most fun for your money by far.
By Lee on 12/04/07 13:50 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The MX5 is all about the driving experience. Hugging the curves, wind in your hair (if you have any), hearing the exhaust - it's all part of the enjoyment the Miata gives. Sure, it's a little small, but that's the main reason it's so fun. Under 2500lbs of auto makes going, stopping and turning quickly much easier. The engineers of this car nailed the '06+ design, as they have for the previous 2 generations. I use mine as a daily driver, and in the winter I just throw on some snow tires and go. It's 50/50 weight balance handles it great. If you're thinking of getting a Miata, go try one out. You'll be hooked.

I'm addicted to this car.
By MarkInKC on 11/21/07 20:35 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Bought new, last year's model. It's the car I've always wanted. I drive it hard; I can't help it. I like the acceleration and the cornering (I read it corners at 9.1Gs). On a day when the temperature is in the 70s, with the top down, it feels *unbelievably* good.

Total Awesomeness
By kroberts2000 on 06/19/07 13:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is awesome. I don't like driving, but this car is so fun, I can't help but smile when I'm behind the wheel. I live in Phoenix, and the top is always down. I've driven the car exactly once with the top up and that's because it was raining. No rain? No top! I look forward to my commute every day. This car makes going to work fun. Fun, fast, handles great. It's so hot in Phoenix, I'm getting a great tan just driving to and from work. Best buy for the money. I've never been happier with a car purchase. 110 degrees outside, I drive with the top down, and the A/C off because it's the best feeling in the world. Safer than a motorcycle, but just as fun to drive.

MX-5 experience
By mx5 sport on 05/12/07 14:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I like the Miata for its sporty feeling and it is fun to drive. It is the roughest riding car I've ever owned and definitely wouldn't want to drive it on a long trip. This car is like it's glued to the road which is good for handling but not for ride comfort. It rides like it doesn't have springs much like a Go-Kart. The road noise inside car is quite loud also. Power wise it has no problem for get up and go. Miata is probably the best bang for the buck as far as little sports cars go. When driving in heavy rain you better slow way down as this car will get scary as it will hydroplane easily.

Kyle's review
By Mazdaguy on 04/01/07 18:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I really enjoy my 2006 roadster. It is the best handling car I have ever owned. It takes turns at 65 miles an hour, not too shabby. I will take handling over real fast anyday.

Simply Too Much Fun
By RW on 03/14/07 10:06 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is actually my second Miata (I had a 2003) and while I loved the 2nd generation, the improvements to the third are fantastic. The car is just a blast to drive - feels much more rigid and refined than the 2nd-gen, while maintaining the car's signature dynamics. The additional room (I'm 6'1") was more than welcome, and more power is always a good thing as well. It splits commuting duty with a motorcycle - and is as close an equivalent to a four-wheel bike as you're going to find for this price. It is just impossible to have a bad day behind the wheel. Do NOT test drive unless you are completely prepared to buy, because there's a really good chance after a spin you'll be signing papers.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.