2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Best Fun Factor on 4 wheels - 2006 Miata
By 2006sonata on 02/23/13 07:57 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

These cars are so awesome. Fun, fun, fun, and reliable as can be. Cheap to fill up (small tank). Don't buy one of these if envious stares annoy you. Don't buy one of these if you'd much prefer to spend a lot of money on a true roadster. Don't buy one of these if you are on a first name basis with you auto mechanic and prefer to stay that way. I don't have the top of the line 'leather' version of the car, but slapped on some upgraded 17" alloy wheels, and great tires ( Michelin Pilot Super Sport), and handling actually improves dramatically - didn't think that was possible.

My first one
By 1st time buyer on 10/05/09 12:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this MX-5 barely used with 11900 miles. I have had a blast with this car driving through the mountains and back roads. Handling is impeccable and crisp. Power is more that adequate and braking is fantastic. It is snug bit comfortable once in the cock pit. Shifting is sweet with it's close ratio gears. Very smooth operation on both highway and back road driving. This is the first manual transmission I've driven in aprox 20 years and it was like riding a bicycle. Mpg has been 34 highway and 27 city. It is noisy with the top up but drop the top and you forget about any noise except the exhaust growl. Great car.

Catch me in the corners
By passepartout on 05/04/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great car. No other car communicates to the driver like my mx-5, I have a 240sx, had a CRX and a MZ3s; whether its through the steering wheel, the seat, or the burble of the exhaust, this car rocks! The top is easy to operate, the exterior is beautiful and classic, and the interior is attractive. Great fun, won't kill your pocketbook and over 30mpg on the freeway, what more could you ask for? Initially looked at an RX-8.

Believe what you hear...it's fun
By bh76 on 02/05/09 12:26 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

One word: FUN. Everyone says it but it's true. Bought used with 29K miles and after 10K more miles I can say that I've had zero problems. I drove it from VA to Maine with a passenger & luggage and loved every mile. Using the top takes mere seconds. Fun & practical daily driver too w/ excellent turning radius & good ride quality. Lots of little cubbies for smaller things. Maintenance: cheap so far. Of course with most any small roadster you'll run into storage issues. For example, I can't fit my golf bag in the trunk without removing the longer clubs. Performance: Nothing earth-shattering - just FUN. Its relatively diminuitive size and mass make it very maneuverable and acceleration is brisk.

Be careful what you wish for
By Alex on 02/20/08 17:44 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great handler with good power. Communicates well in corners and inspires confidence to push on. It has enough power to make pushing on fun. But beware, this is not a quiet ride. Engine speed at 70 mph is 3500rpm. The exhaust is loud at that rpm. Road noise comes through the wheel wells, and the tires throw up little pebbles which create noise. The car is low so egress and entry are difficult. Once inside a six footer will fit, but this is no Caddy (duh). Fuel economy is 25- 27 in mixed driving on any grade of gas-not great. Lastly, OEM Michelin Pilot Preceda are great in wet/dry, but useless in any light snow

Miata Smiles
By elvenprince on 12/26/06 06:01 AM (PST)

I still am smiling! :-)

LOVE this car
By Karen on 08/09/06 18:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda MX5. My husband bought it for my 40th Birthday. My husband is 6'6 and it is the only convertible on the market that he can actually drive and ride in. We bought an automatic with the manual shifting paddles on the steering wheel. He loves that and I love the automatic. The top is so easy to put up and down you can do it while sitting in the car. The trunk is HUGE, unlike most convertibles. The Mazda is so fun to drive, the wheels really stick when going around corners. While going 80mph the RPM's barely hit 3000. While driving the inside is quiet no wind noise or rattles. We love our Mazda MX5!

Awesome roadster
By philmx5 on 07/19/06 07:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is just a blast to drive. After looking at the competition this became an easy choice. It just felt right from the moment I got in the car, put the top down, and took off. It think it looks great without being overbearing like the expensive roadsters. The car is just simplistic and fun!

12000 miles of mountain driving
By j wertzbaugher on 07/06/06 22:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our MX5 in Phoenix and promptly put on 4000 miles touring National Parks in AZ, Utah, Calif. and OR. Then after a winter break we did another 8000 through Calif. NV., Utah, CO., S. D., WY, Montana, Alberta, B.C., Yukon and finally home to Alaska. Ninety five percent with the top down (made ultra easy with the slick one arm set-up) and 85 % on back mountain roads. The handling is absolutely unbelievable! Never wanted for power. Enough trunk space for two months worth of personal gear, sleeping bags and tent. I've recently driven an 04 Jag, an 02 Z3 and an 03 SLK; I would not even consider a straight-up trade.

Most fun EVER!
By Joe on 06/22/06 16:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've wanted one since 1990, but lived in Brooklyn. Got a copper red 5 speed Touring with 6-cd changer after I moved to SC. This is the most fun I've ever had in a car. Corners great, accelerates well, I never get tired of driving it. With the top down, it is so good I'd rate it an 11 if that was an option. With the top up, your view out the back is limited, and difficult to see behind and blind spot. That is not a problem with the top down. After 3 months I still love it as much as the first time. Looks great, feels great, drives great, sounds great. BUY THIS CAR!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.