2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Review: Memorable First Car

2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Review

Memorable First Car
By Brian Wright on

2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 17, 2003 Special Edition #768 was mine until a couple of days ago, when I was run off of the highway. I am extremely grateful that this car was as safe as it was. At about 50 mph impact, I was able to get up and walk out of the car with several scratches and bruises. Worked hard to make payments, but I never got sick of working because I always got to drive that car home. This car was an absolute blast to own, and I wish I could have been with it for a good 200,000 miles. Got it up to 130 mph w/ 6-speed and room to climb higher!

The car hugs the road. You'd be surprised how many think it's a Viper from a far away. (I live in a town where an RT-10 drives past maybe once a year, though). For 4 Cyl., it had a lot of energy and a nice redline. Top could go up or down in 2 seconds. Cruise w/ 6-spd was a plus.

Some sort of forced induction would be nice, which must be why those MazdaSpeed Miatas are in the works. Maybe a better gear #6, so I-95 doesn't have to be at 3600 RPM- droning was never a problem though.