Topless Delight
By BG on
2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
This is a car made to be driven with the top down. I even drive it topless in cold weather as long as it is a nice sunny day. If it gets chilly I turn on the heater. Put the top up and the car suddenly feels cramped and confined. The Miata handles great and accelerates surprising fast. It also brakes quickly to a stop in a pinch. I am using the Miata to teach my teenagers to drive a 5 speed and it is well suited for that due to its size and easy clutch. I find that the car is at its best on the winding backroads at speeds where you can take in the scenery and enjoy the outdoors. I am not crazy about driving it topless above 70 mph as the wind and noise pick up significantly.
Favorite Features
Highly maneuverable, easy to park, great visibility with the top down, very reliable and economical on gas. Perfect for running errands around town or just a great way to enjoy the outdoors. Think of it as a four wheeled motorcycle. The LS options are nice to have but I could live without them.
Suggested Improvements
It would be nice if the driver's seat went back an extra inch or two. It can be cramped for anyone six feet or taller. The parking brake gets in the way if you want to rest your leg against the console when the cruise control is engaged. Flip the sun visors down and you have to duck to see forward.