Used 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Zoom Zoom
By celica_122

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Cup holders are a hassle. Small interior. But I wanted a roadster and got one. The most fun to drive of any car I have driven. Someone traded a BMW Z3 for a Miata the day I was at the dealership, so what does that tell you? This is (in my opinion) the best roadster you can buy. If I get depressed I just go for a ride in my Shinsen!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. And that's what a car is supposed to be.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a bigger trunk? But if you want cargo room or luxury, buy a luxury car.

A joy to drive, but hurts my back
By SRS

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Gets appreciative looks. More elegant and cheerful than recent redesign. Never enjoyed driving more, but chronic back injury (herniated disc) with tiny interior: makes me wonder if I will have to sell. I'm 6'2". Seats are like 90 degrees; no lumbar support. Road can be harsh - avoid potholes, speed bumps. Pebbles make lots of noise. Sound system with road noise -- tinnitus. Right elbow opens cup holder, right knee can't straighten. Fixed wheel position. Visibility only fair with top. Automatic shifter very stiff after starting. Heater, AC, wipers good. Cornering easy, fun. Accelerates well. Top easy to operate. Sound system is good; allows adjustment of midrange. Top latch replaced.

Favorite Features

Gorgeous color (teal mica). Gorgeous exterior design. Cornering/turning circle. Fun! Top is easy to operate. This car makes me smile. Automatic transmission (less hassle than manual). Responsiveness.

Suggested Improvements

Better seat angle for tall drivers. Lumbar support. Adjustable steering wheel. Quieter interior with top down. Feedback for gas cap release. Better fuel economy. Blue gauge color, not red. Less plastic in interior. A way to deal with noise from little stones?

Topless Delight
By BG

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a car made to be driven with the top down. I even drive it topless in cold weather as long as it is a nice sunny day. If it gets chilly I turn on the heater. Put the top up and the car suddenly feels cramped and confined. The Miata handles great and accelerates surprising fast. It also brakes quickly to a stop in a pinch. I am using the Miata to teach my teenagers to drive a 5 speed and it is well suited for that due to its size and easy clutch. I find that the car is at its best on the winding backroads at speeds where you can take in the scenery and enjoy the outdoors. I am not crazy about driving it topless above 70 mph as the wind and noise pick up significantly.

Favorite Features

Highly maneuverable, easy to park, great visibility with the top down, very reliable and economical on gas. Perfect for running errands around town or just a great way to enjoy the outdoors. Think of it as a four wheeled motorcycle. The LS options are nice to have but I could live without them.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if the driver's seat went back an extra inch or two. It can be cramped for anyone six feet or taller. The parking brake gets in the way if you want to rest your leg against the console when the cruise control is engaged. Flip the sun visors down and you have to duck to see forward.

Madza Special Editon
By Special Editon

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Car is underpowered, needs at least 150hp. Car looks good, handles excellent and gas mileage. A good buy for the money.

Favorite Features

Gas and the ease of the down and up of the top.

Suggested Improvements

More hp.

New and fresh indeed
By Burt Lauderbaugh

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Anyone looking for a special used MX-5 should take the time and effort to find the Shinsen Edition, made only in 2003. It draws many looks and inquiries. Great gas mileage also. Close to 30 mpg with no babying at all. Just pure fun.

Favorite Features

I'm always getting asked what kind of car this is. With the aero package and 16" wheels it doesn't appear to be a plain Jane Miata. There is a definite fun factor involved in my daily commute that I could not have in anything else.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement would have been to make leather seats standard as my cloth seats are not easy to keep clean.