Used 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Shinsen Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Saved my life... best little car
By Sherylm

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this sweet little car for the last few summers, and enjoyed every minute. Today, I got t-boned on the driver's side by someone running a stop sign, and I'm alive. Really sore, but alive. The outside of the car was really damaged, but the frame protected me well enough, that I can write this review. Not only was she beautiful and fun, but she turned out to be the best car in the most important sense. Thank you.

The tight turns, and the look of it.

Tilt steering so my husband can drive it.

Zoom Zoom
By celica_122

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Cup holders are a hassle. Small interior. But I wanted a roadster and got one. The most fun to drive of any car I have driven. Someone traded a BMW Z3 for a Miata the day I was at the dealership, so what does that tell you? This is (in my opinion) the best roadster you can buy. If I get depressed I just go for a ride in my Shinsen!

Fun to drive. And that's what a car is supposed to be.

Maybe a bigger trunk? But if you want cargo room or luxury, buy a luxury car.

New and fresh indeed
By Burt Lauderbaugh

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Anyone looking for a special used MX-5 should take the time and effort to find the Shinsen Edition, made only in 2003. It draws many looks and inquiries. Great gas mileage also. Close to 30 mpg with no babying at all. Just pure fun.

I'm always getting asked what kind of car this is. With the aero package and 16" wheels it doesn't appear to be a plain Jane Miata. There is a definite fun factor involved in my daily commute that I could not have in anything else.

The only improvement would have been to make leather seats standard as my cloth seats are not easy to keep clean.

Miata Still Has It...
By vtmiller

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Owned for 2 years and besides my Nissan SE-R 1992 (before they changed body style), this is the most fun car I've owned and perhaps even ridden in. Even my buddy's Porsche 911 (although powerful) doesn't generate the same feel as the Miata roadster. The Shinsen edition color got great reactions (some even asked what kind of car it was - Jaguar?) and there are tons of modifications one can do (under the hood) and styling. I've kept mine pretty stock, but plan on adding turbo next year for some racing pep. Nothing is needed for daily driving, but if you want to zip through the city, park anywhere, and lose stress with windy road driving anytime -- this is the car for you! Love it.

The feel of the road. My sis' has a Mercedes roadster and even though it is more luxurious, I'd rather drive my Miata through the country roads. You truly won't appreciate this car until you drive it -- then you'll be hooked. Once you remove the visors, you'll love how easy (4 seconds) to take the top down.

Simple upgrade to H&M Air filter increases pep. Adding other after market items like silver roll bar enhance styling. Great buy new or used - will probably never sell car because it's a perfect daily driver and/or 2nd weekend car.

My Shinsen
By Denise

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The acceleration of this vehicle is really lacking. I really wish that it had tilt steering. Don't know if it is true but I was told that this particular year only came in manual and that an automatic transmission was not an option. I would have preferred an automatic. My Shinsen is a third vehicle and stays mostly protected in the garage. I would have to say that I am pretty satisfied to own such a one of a kind (once again was told by my dealership that only 1500 of them were made).

My favorite feature has to be the look itself. Although I have had more near misses from people on the road paying more attention to me just trying to figure out what type of car it is. You would be surprised how many people who approach me asking me what type of vehicle it is.

I think that the acceleration is probably my biggest complaint (extremely slow from a start).