Used 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

The biggest go-kart in the world
By DDR2

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The title sums it up. Extremely agile car and light on its feet, like a go- cart. It's about as roomy as one too. But those who appreciate this car for what it can do won't be concerned about that. Acceleration isn't very strong either but again, if you want straightline acceleration, go buy a musclecar. This car belongs on roads with tight curves. It's easy to drive and own so far. The only improvements would be bigger trunk and more grunt. Otherwise, this is a fine piece of machinery.

Lightweight, balanced suspension.

Bigger trunk, more grunt.

Apparently the only Mazda Miata Lemon
By KSM

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a Mazda Miata MX-5 C in Splash Green Mica. Within a few weeks of purchasing this vehicle, I've had hard starts (i.e. sometimes it takes over one minute to start the car and then it starts sluggishly.) I also have gas smells and a major braking issue where rarely the vehicle's engine starts to race the more you brake. The only way to stop the vehicle fully is to turn it off or put it in neutral while braking. Dealership cannot reproduce or fix so now I'm in lemon law court. I'm so disappointed because I did a tremendous amount of research which strongly suggested this car was reliable. It's an absolutely beautiful vehicle but I seem to be the only one stuck with a lemon.

Seats are comfortable, body and interior are gorgeous, and as long as you can accept the bouncy ride, on the highway it's a dream to drive. You also have a lot of control over the maneuverability of the vehicle as it hugs the road.

Brighter headlights and radio controls on steering wheel would be nice.

Finally!
By rwantin

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My patience has been rewarded - I grew up in Michigan, and now live in So. Cal. A lifelong motorcyclist, it was here that I could finally get what I consider to be the finest 4-wheeled equivalent of a bike - a Miata! Grins from ear-to-ear, sensational handling, bulletproof reliability, and at a price that still can't be touched in this segment (sorry, I have never warmed up to the looks of the MR2). I now have a pleasant dilemma in the garage: Bike or car? This is indeed a classic roadster in the purest of (all) senses. Do yourself a favor - dismiss what anyone else thinks, and take one for a spin. You will not regret it.

Styling, handling, build-quality, engine note, interior, manual top, weight (or lack thereof), wheels, reliability, unwavering grin factor.

The MAZDASPEED MX-5 is already at dealers. Nice to have a step-up if that time comes. Big if, however. I love this car.

Dave's baby
By David Tracy

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE driving my Miata! Definately no buyers remorse here. Highly recommend this car for the fun-minded and quality- minded.

Ease of top operation and "go-cart" style handling as well as "short shifting" gear change.

Mazdaspeed is already doing it for 2005 model.

Love it
By Tiddily

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most fun car that I have ever owned. It is responsive. It has clean lines. It is one of the few sports cars on which an automatic transmission is an option. It is a gteat car for those who want performance along with being noticed.

Automatic transmission. Sporty appearance.

A power top would be a nice addition.