2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Only possible car for short people
By Kara on 01/11/10 11:46 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm five foot and have the greatest visibility I've ever had with any car in the Miata. Has strong headlights, amazing steering, quick and easy to put the top down (at a traffic light. The Miata is small, elegant and always smiling. Greatest car ever and would recommend it to anyone who is under 6'2".

The biggest go-kart in the world
By DDR2 on 04/24/09 18:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The title sums it up. Extremely agile car and light on its feet, like a go- cart. It's about as roomy as one too. But those who appreciate this car for what it can do won't be concerned about that. Acceleration isn't very strong either but again, if you want straightline acceleration, go buy a musclecar. This car belongs on roads with tight curves. It's easy to drive and own so far. The only improvements would be bigger trunk and more grunt. Otherwise, this is a fine piece of machinery.

My Hobby
By RLM on 12/17/08 05:11 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am a suspension and handling addict and this car answers the call and more. I have the six speed with Bilstein shocks and limited slip differential in triple black. For me the car has just the right horse power as I enjoy using the six speed to make the car go rather than just hitting the gas. I enjoy the interaction with the car and the road especially with the top down.

Great little Roadster in Austin
By Mike Brewer on 08/25/08 08:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Wanted a great 2 seater roadster and got one. I really like the styling and handling. I like almost everything about the car. Only mods so far are oil pressure sending unit change and added front grille. Lots of fun to drive and great gas mileage.

Saved my life... best little car
By Sherylm on 09/24/07 18:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this sweet little car for the last few summers, and enjoyed every minute. Today, I got t-boned on the driver's side by someone running a stop sign, and I'm alive. Really sore, but alive. The outside of the car was really damaged, but the frame protected me well enough, that I can write this review. Not only was she beautiful and fun, but she turned out to be the best car in the most important sense. Thank you.

Zoom Zoom
By celica_122 on 03/19/07 23:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Cup holders are a hassle. Small interior. But I wanted a roadster and got one. The most fun to drive of any car I have driven. Someone traded a BMW Z3 for a Miata the day I was at the dealership, so what does that tell you? This is (in my opinion) the best roadster you can buy. If I get depressed I just go for a ride in my Shinsen!

A joy to drive, but hurts my back
By SRS on 03/15/07 22:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Gets appreciative looks. More elegant and cheerful than recent redesign. Never enjoyed driving more, but chronic back injury (herniated disc) with tiny interior: makes me wonder if I will have to sell. I'm 6'2". Seats are like 90 degrees; no lumbar support. Road can be harsh - avoid potholes, speed bumps. Pebbles make lots of noise. Sound system with road noise -- tinnitus. Right elbow opens cup holder, right knee can't straighten. Fixed wheel position. Visibility only fair with top. Automatic shifter very stiff after starting. Heater, AC, wipers good. Cornering easy, fun. Accelerates well. Top easy to operate. Sound system is good; allows adjustment of midrange. Top latch replaced.

Topless Delight
By BG on 11/03/06 15:34 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a car made to be driven with the top down. I even drive it topless in cold weather as long as it is a nice sunny day. If it gets chilly I turn on the heater. Put the top up and the car suddenly feels cramped and confined. The Miata handles great and accelerates surprising fast. It also brakes quickly to a stop in a pinch. I am using the Miata to teach my teenagers to drive a 5 speed and it is well suited for that due to its size and easy clutch. I find that the car is at its best on the winding backroads at speeds where you can take in the scenery and enjoy the outdoors. I am not crazy about driving it topless above 70 mph as the wind and noise pick up significantly.

Madza Special Editon
By Special Editon on 10/09/06 02:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The Car is underpowered, needs at least 150hp. Car looks good, handles excellent and gas mileage. A good buy for the money.

New and fresh indeed
By Burt Lauderbaugh on 05/13/06 18:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Anyone looking for a special used MX-5 should take the time and effort to find the Shinsen Edition, made only in 2003. It draws many looks and inquiries. Great gas mileage also. Close to 30 mpg with no babying at all. Just pure fun.