2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Only possible car for short people
By Kara on 01/11/10 11:46 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm five foot and have the greatest visibility I've ever had with any car in the Miata. Has strong headlights, amazing steering, quick and easy to put the top down (at a traffic light. The Miata is small, elegant and always smiling. Greatest car ever and would recommend it to anyone who is under 6'2".

My Hobby
By RLM on 12/17/08 05:11 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am a suspension and handling addict and this car answers the call and more. I have the six speed with Bilstein shocks and limited slip differential in triple black. For me the car has just the right horse power as I enjoy using the six speed to make the car go rather than just hitting the gas. I enjoy the interaction with the car and the road especially with the top down.

A joy to drive, but hurts my back
By SRS on 03/15/07 22:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Gets appreciative looks. More elegant and cheerful than recent redesign. Never enjoyed driving more, but chronic back injury (herniated disc) with tiny interior: makes me wonder if I will have to sell. I'm 6'2". Seats are like 90 degrees; no lumbar support. Road can be harsh - avoid potholes, speed bumps. Pebbles make lots of noise. Sound system with road noise -- tinnitus. Right elbow opens cup holder, right knee can't straighten. Fixed wheel position. Visibility only fair with top. Automatic shifter very stiff after starting. Heater, AC, wipers good. Cornering easy, fun. Accelerates well. Top easy to operate. Sound system is good; allows adjustment of midrange. Top latch replaced.

Topless Delight
By BG on 11/03/06 15:34 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a car made to be driven with the top down. I even drive it topless in cold weather as long as it is a nice sunny day. If it gets chilly I turn on the heater. Put the top up and the car suddenly feels cramped and confined. The Miata handles great and accelerates surprising fast. It also brakes quickly to a stop in a pinch. I am using the Miata to teach my teenagers to drive a 5 speed and it is well suited for that due to its size and easy clutch. I find that the car is at its best on the winding backroads at speeds where you can take in the scenery and enjoy the outdoors. I am not crazy about driving it topless above 70 mph as the wind and noise pick up significantly.

Lovin' Every Minute of It
By rongrut on 01/25/06 11:20 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My wife told me it was my time to get the new car, and we have both wanted a Miata since its inception. Absolutely the best car I have ever owned. FUN, FUN, FUN. Went on vacation to the Grand Canyon from Texas (top down almost all the way), got 30 mpg on the average, and that is at 75 most of the time on the highways. But, the best part was the great view from having the top down and the wind in our hair. I drove the whole way and did not get to where I was uncomfortable at all, (5'11- 180). Have had zero problems and don't expect any.

Beyond My Expectations
By Joel L. on 09/16/05 19:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A true sports car with great looks, remarkable agility, extraordinary overall performance, and plain good ol' fun is what I was looking for, and the MX5 provides these features in full measure, and at a price that couldn't be beat! I bought the car when I was 60, and feel as if I'm 18 every time I pull out of the garage. I've just looked at the 2006 models. The MX5 tradition lives on in this "upgunned" model. You can bet another new MX5 is out there in the future. Well done, Mazda!

Makes My Day
By miatame on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Hey, I did my time in minivans. This is my "other" car. Have been smiling ever since hubby bought it for my anniversary present last summer. Always have very silly grin when driving. I make up excuses to drive whenever it is sunny, and always take the long, long way home.

Bliss...
By kamea on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am LOVING my new Miata. I was hesitant at first due to the small size of the cabin, and the 5.1 cubic feet of trunk space, but I didn't use my backseat anyway, so I DON'T miss it. The legroom is only slightly less than my last vehicle (Celica), and it handles like a dream....tight steering. Lots of "zoom-zoom". Great car.

I love my Miata!
By Melissa Phillips on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car exemplifies my life today; it is a drastic change from the pickup truck I traded in. I am rebuilding my life and wanted a car that reflected who I am today and who I hope to become. Wherever I go, I receive wonderful compliments on my car.

Miata's are GREAT
By ceyowsr on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I love my Miata, as I have all of our other Miata's