Lots of Great Used Miatas on the Road
By funpig on
2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
When I was younger, I owned a Triumph and was recently considering buying a restored one for kicks. In the end, common sense won and I bought a six year old '02 Miata with about 45,000 km. Best decision, I ever made. Truly a fun, fun car to drive. Reminds me of the old British sports cars, but with updated power, engineering and reliability. You really do feel like part of the car when you drive. The engine is not big, but it has great torque. The power is in the right places when you shift and you get a great sense of acceleration and speed throughout every gear. You control the Miata; the car does not control you.
Favorite Features
Fantastic torquey engine. Sports suspension option with Bilstein shocks, rigid support and bigger disk brakes highly recommended. Great timeless and stylish exterior body and interior. Great reputation for reliability. Fantastic value for price and good on gas.
Suggested Improvements
Possible clutch shudder and notchy gear shifting when cold, goes away when warmed up (or rev higher before pop clutch). Not so sure if it is a defect as much as just part of the character of the car. Keep the second vehicle for more passengers and capacity, poor weather and practicality