2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Not just a girls car... Street Legal GoKart!!!
By thewheelman1 on 12/19/11 09:56 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata for about a year now but have been racing miatas for about 5 years now and i would recommend these cars to anyone who wants a car you will never be bored of driving, outstanding reliability, the handling is matched with that of $100,000 cars, I have personally seen miatas smoke Z06 corvettes and Ferrari by half a mile on the road course, and by whole seconds on the Auto-X course. These little cars receive little respect from muscle car owners, but the real drivers car owners (ie. Porsche, Lotus, Aston Martin) they know whats up... As a daily driver, midlife crisis car, or a professional racecar the miata will always come through.

Frank's Silver Miata
By fgalea on 01/12/07 07:21 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Not my daily driver, a joy to drive. Can't help smiling when I'm in her and prideful when I look back at her when I walk away after a satisfying run in the sun. Even with the top up, it's fun to drive. I feel a real connection with the road and have a hard time parking her when it's time to face the real world. Never a problem. Not a powerful car but a powerful fun car.

love my Miata
By dbritt on 10/06/05 18:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2002 Miata second hand 8 months ago and love it! Never really enjoyed owning/driving cars, but I can honestly say that the Miata has completely changed that. The car is a blast to drive, is actually quite comfortable, and the overall quality is excellent. Two problems I've had with the car: a tiny hole in the soft top and a "chattery" clutch when the car was cold. My local Mazda dealer completely replaced the top and clutch under warranty without blinking an eye. Scheduled service performed by the dealer was inexpensive, especially compared with the VW that I owned prior. The ride is rough on poor pavement, and can be noisy/windy at high speeds, but regardless it's a GREAT car!

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata (2-seat Roadster)
By Wayne P. on 09/21/05 18:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

You don't drive this car - you pilot it. Handling is so intuitive, you rarely think about it; almost drives itself. It is so nimble, you can drive circles around anyone, anytime. You don't climb in, you strap it on & it becomes part of you. One caveat: it's not for someone over 6 feet tall. Can reach anyplace inside from the driver's seat (+ right outside mirror). Great acceleration & braking. It was made for curves & hills. OUTSTANDING! These guys thought of everything, and more. Don't expect silly/distracting gadgets - this is for those serious about driving. After 30,000 miles, not one problem. Mileage overall: 26mpg. Fuel: recommend 93 octane - 89 ok.

A drivers dream
By skpetter on 07/18/05 19:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just got my second roadster a MX5 LS and I am sorry that I waited 23 years. My first car I bought after college was a 1972 Fiat 850 Spyder that constantly made trips up and down the pacific Coast Highway. Mazda's version of the roader updates all the fun of a classic lightweight roadster with the technology of today. The transmission is fantastic and well spaced and the acceleration is fantastic. It runs well on the freeway and the only regret I have is I now live in Florida so I can't have the exprience of mountain driving up to Angelest Crest on those great winding roads to Crestline. You dont ride in his car you are one with it

bset value
By JD on 07/12/05 12:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

If your looking for fun but are on a buget, buy a miata! Its like going on vacation everytime you get in! It is truely a FUN car! The car handles like its on rails! Once you drive, you'll understand Mazda'a slogan zoom-zoom!

Fantastic Car!
By Andy Brown on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I debated about buying a 2-seat convertible for many practical reasons, but now that I did, my only regret is that I didn't do it 10 years ago! I've always loved the look of the Miata, and once I test drove it, I couldn't believe how much fun it was to drive. Not only does it handle like a dream, it is actually very comfortable at highway speeds, which I didn't expect. The trunk is plenty big for any normal cargo needs, but for big things I did keep my old Mazda 626 (still reliable after 124000 miles). In addition, being in a convertible is fantastic-you really experience the world and aren't isoloted from it-exilirating.

PUT MORE FUN IN YOUR LIFE
By miatax3 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I only need a few words to express how much I enjoy Miata’s. I have three (3), all bought new. My first a ‘92 my second ‘99 and my beautiful ‘‘02 black & tan with all the bells and whistles. I couldn’t accept the SC brown leather with metallic gray.

2002 Miata LS
By beaner on 10/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

2nd Miata I've bought new. M1 (90-97) is a classic headturner, but M2 ('99+) is more comfortable. Either way, it's maximum bang for your buck. Skip the low profile rims/tires, though. They look cool, but handling is negatively affected even if tire pressure is only off by only a pound or two. (N.B.: Recommended only as a 2nd vehicle due to small cargo capacity and 2-passenger seating.)

You can't beat it!
By schmammel on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

You can get a car that is more fun, faster and merginally better handling. But only if you're willing to pay another $8000 at least!