2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Lots of Great Used Miatas on the Road
By funpig on 08/14/08 00:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I was younger, I owned a Triumph and was recently considering buying a restored one for kicks. In the end, common sense won and I bought a six year old '02 Miata with about 45,000 km. Best decision, I ever made. Truly a fun, fun car to drive. Reminds me of the old British sports cars, but with updated power, engineering and reliability. You really do feel like part of the car when you drive. The engine is not big, but it has great torque. The power is in the right places when you shift and you get a great sense of acceleration and speed throughout every gear. You control the Miata; the car does not control you.

Glad I'm on Earth - only place with MX5
By SCAREY on 03/16/06 02:20 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have had our MX5 2000 (silver) for three days. (39,700 kms) I have run out of excuses to drive it - now I drive it in my sleep. Well almost. We were thinking buying a motorbike, and I am beginning to think this is more fun than a bike: as a past BMW bike owner I can throw this car into a corner just as fast and not worry about falling over. I was worried driving with the top up with restrict visibility a lot, but this is less of a worry than I expected. Today I drove in the rain for the first time on the freeway and there were no leaks. I am slowly getting used to the car, and the more I drive it, the more I like it.

Miata
By chicagojet on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

great, fun car to drive.buy an option spoiler & a cold air intake

MostFunFor$20000
By 1stTimeMiata on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new miata. Sure a lot of people say that the car is for woman going through a mid life crisis, but I am none of those. For $20,000 there is no car as fun and reliable. Sure the horsepower is a little low, but I can use all the performance of my miata on the road while a porsch is not able to be pushed.

Fun!
By MiataOwnerSince93 on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Outstanding handling and fun.

Most Fun for the Money
By marshal1 on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The MX-5 is fun, fast, relaible and economical. It's also the best handling car I've ever driven. It reminds me of my 1969 Triumph GT-6, except I don't have to worry about it not starting after a rain storm. The bottom line is that the Miata = Fun!!

'99 Miata
By Miata_man on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a new Miata 3 years ago and, overall, I love the car. Its a blast to drive and handles very well. I understand that they added a six speed transmission, which it badly needs. Some minor issues with the car would be loss of power when the air conditioner is on and a rattle that occurs sometimes in the gear shift. Things that should be expected with this car are a small trunk and a lot of road noise at high speeds.

Ilove this car
By sunnybuckaroo on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love this car

The Same, Only Better
By MiataMan on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

On a sunny day last week I just *had* to my beloved 1991 Miata for a spin. 11 years old and totally fun and reliable. Ended up at the local dealership and found remaining 2001's at $5500 off MSRP! All the fun of the last one but more refined in every way. British Racing Green with the Appearance Package for just a little over $17k new. The new generation feels a lot more solid. It's quieter, especially when the top is up. The standard AC, power windows, CD player, glass rear window, and extra 26hp are much-welcomed additions. My only ultra-trivial complaint is that the gas pedal is overly light compared to the old one, but this generation of Miata is still simply superb.

Miata is one smooth cruise
By robert rousoos on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I previously drove a 99 Miata and really enjoyed the new model over the old 97 model.. The 2002 is an improvement also because it comes with fog lamps, a better designed interior(ie. two cup holders, storage nets),a wind blocker, an electric antenna, brighter head lights, electric windows and mirrors and much more comfortable bucket seats, all standard. The downside is that the leather interior is only available in tan. The gas mileage is down about two miles per gallon, and the performance is about the same despite claims of increased horsepower. The top can be put up or down is about fifteen seconds even though its manual.