Used 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Best Roadster.
By Rog

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I was tired of the ho hum experience of the past 40 yrs of the typical everyday cars, having grown up will cars that can lay rubber for 3 blocks and blow your mind in the quarter....family van's, company cars, rentals...yaaawwwnnn. So when the last kid was driving their own car..I bought a used Masda Mx 5 six speed roadster two years ago and absolutely love to drive again..It gets great gas mileage (much better than reported) and that is on two lane mountain roads.. Takes corners like my old Triumph cafe racer and can handle speeds over 120 without a hitch. Snow is no problem either with the M&S tires for winter driving..Went over Monarch pass last year in a blizzard. ..it has a higher ground clearance than expected, but do need to watch those big speed bumps..No mechanical issues to date. I would definitely buy another one....

Couldn't Ask For More
By Steve

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Had it a little over 2 weeks now. It is my daily driver and I couldn't ask for more. I'm a pilot so the interior is well suited for me. Just a short reach for everything I need and the seats are very comfortable. BTW, I'm 6"1'. Yes, driving it is a pure joy. For a short time I drove it on an interstate and keeping up with everyone at 80 then 100 it was rock solid. I thought it was be shaking and moving all over the place. Mine is a 6 speed and I don't rev the engine much past 4,000 between shifts yet get 25 MPG. Kinda surprised at it being that low but it's a small price to pay for this much fun. It still looks brand new and I catch people looking at it all time. Very cool.

Interior layout and unique SE interior. Comfortable seats. Of course driving it. Titanium grey metallic paint is still flawless and looks a mile deep.

I think it's just the way the car is setup but was surprised at only 25MPG. Have a much larger 4 cylinder Isuzu that gets 25MPG. I am being picky here cause it's hard to find something I think needs improvement.

Summer Car
By ric387

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Sold a 62 T-Bird and wanted an affordable used convertible as replacement. Tan interior and manual transmission were only requirements and purpose was for a summer car and not as a daily driver. Was not a Miata fan to start with and bought one from a friend mainly because I knew it was reliable and well taken care of. Also liked the fact that it was British Racing Green and a Special Edition fully loaded. Paid half the price I expected to pay for my original choices of z4 or boxster with same age/mileage. So far, so good. Comfort above what I expected. Acceptable motor/wind noise. Fun to drive. No rattles. Look and feel very solid.

Beautiful looks. Good compromise of classic roadster philosophy versus modern design and comfort. Fit and quality finish of interior. Nice design of dash instrumentation. Easy use of convertible top. Expected reliability.

Less power loss when A/C is on. A 5th or 6th gear that should act as a real overdrive and bring down more the RPM when using them. A little more horsepower. A real back wind deflector than the basically useless one installed. Windshield a bit higher or seat a little lower for 6 ft people.

HS Grad. Present
By kcs03

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I got this car for graduation, and I loved it. I have come to find that people either love it or hate it/think it's adorable or think it's a joke. Driving it with the top down makes all of the comments disappear. Also, not having to drive passengers a lot (because you can't fit ALL of your friends in) saves you gas...when you are already not putting in as much as they are in the first place!

Convertible. Reliability. MPG! Orange interior lights.

Larger design. Dent resistant side doors.

True Love
By Sunryz

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I am not a car person and have never cared much about what car I drove. It was strictly functional. This yellow Miata changed that. After 4 years it is still an absolute blast to drive and people still comment about what a cool car it is. I drive it all year round with a hard top for the winter months. It looks cool like that too. My husband loves to drive it too. It is most fun on windy mountain roads. We go out driving on weekends just for the pleasure of driving it.

The gold-metallic-flecked-yellow color is stunning in the sun. The way it handles responsively is a close second.

Automatic headlight turn-off. If you forget to turn off the lights you will need a jump after about one hour.