Used 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Not just a girls car... Street Legal GoKart!!!
By thewheelman1

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata for about a year now but have been racing miatas for about 5 years now and i would recommend these cars to anyone who wants a car you will never be bored of driving, outstanding reliability, the handling is matched with that of $100,000 cars, I have personally seen miatas smoke Z06 corvettes and Ferrari by half a mile on the road course, and by whole seconds on the Auto-X course. These little cars receive little respect from muscle car owners, but the real drivers car owners (ie. Porsche, Lotus, Aston Martin) they know whats up... As a daily driver, midlife crisis car, or a professional racecar the miata will always come through.

Gorgeous body lines, it looks like a $80,000 Italian sports car and turns heads like such. The handling is the #1 feature of these cars, its what they are built to do. Bose premium stereo is awesome and even after 10 years still crystal clear.

More factory Horse Power, Factory HID headlamps, more aggressive exhaust note, larger factory brakes with ventilated discs, no more perforated vinyl seat bottoms, (prone to splitting)

Couldn't Ask For More
By Steve

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Had it a little over 2 weeks now. It is my daily driver and I couldn't ask for more. I'm a pilot so the interior is well suited for me. Just a short reach for everything I need and the seats are very comfortable. BTW, I'm 6"1'. Yes, driving it is a pure joy. For a short time I drove it on an interstate and keeping up with everyone at 80 then 100 it was rock solid. I thought it was be shaking and moving all over the place. Mine is a 6 speed and I don't rev the engine much past 4,000 between shifts yet get 25 MPG. Kinda surprised at it being that low but it's a small price to pay for this much fun. It still looks brand new and I catch people looking at it all time. Very cool.

Interior layout and unique SE interior. Comfortable seats. Of course driving it. Titanium grey metallic paint is still flawless and looks a mile deep.

I think it's just the way the car is setup but was surprised at only 25MPG. Have a much larger 4 cylinder Isuzu that gets 25MPG. I am being picky here cause it's hard to find something I think needs improvement.

Lots of Great Used Miatas on the Road
By funpig

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I was younger, I owned a Triumph and was recently considering buying a restored one for kicks. In the end, common sense won and I bought a six year old '02 Miata with about 45,000 km. Best decision, I ever made. Truly a fun, fun car to drive. Reminds me of the old British sports cars, but with updated power, engineering and reliability. You really do feel like part of the car when you drive. The engine is not big, but it has great torque. The power is in the right places when you shift and you get a great sense of acceleration and speed throughout every gear. You control the Miata; the car does not control you.

Fantastic torquey engine. Sports suspension option with Bilstein shocks, rigid support and bigger disk brakes highly recommended. Great timeless and stylish exterior body and interior. Great reputation for reliability. Fantastic value for price and good on gas.

Possible clutch shudder and notchy gear shifting when cold, goes away when warmed up (or rev higher before pop clutch). Not so sure if it is a defect as much as just part of the character of the car. Keep the second vehicle for more passengers and capacity, poor weather and practicality

Summer Car
By ric387

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Sold a 62 T-Bird and wanted an affordable used convertible as replacement. Tan interior and manual transmission were only requirements and purpose was for a summer car and not as a daily driver. Was not a Miata fan to start with and bought one from a friend mainly because I knew it was reliable and well taken care of. Also liked the fact that it was British Racing Green and a Special Edition fully loaded. Paid half the price I expected to pay for my original choices of z4 or boxster with same age/mileage. So far, so good. Comfort above what I expected. Acceptable motor/wind noise. Fun to drive. No rattles. Look and feel very solid.

Beautiful looks. Good compromise of classic roadster philosophy versus modern design and comfort. Fit and quality finish of interior. Nice design of dash instrumentation. Easy use of convertible top. Expected reliability.

Less power loss when A/C is on. A 5th or 6th gear that should act as a real overdrive and bring down more the RPM when using them. A little more horsepower. A real back wind deflector than the basically useless one installed. Windshield a bit higher or seat a little lower for 6 ft people.

HS Grad. Present
By kcs03

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I got this car for graduation, and I loved it. I have come to find that people either love it or hate it/think it's adorable or think it's a joke. Driving it with the top down makes all of the comments disappear. Also, not having to drive passengers a lot (because you can't fit ALL of your friends in) saves you gas...when you are already not putting in as much as they are in the first place!

Convertible. Reliability. MPG! Orange interior lights.

Larger design. Dent resistant side doors.