My first vehicle purchased
By ihanson on
2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
I flew across country (MN to AZ) to pick up my silver 2001 LS with 17" rims, chrome style bar and leather interior, and most importantly a rust free body. I drove it the 2,000 miles home in February with no issues and it has been a champ back here since then. I had been looking at something fun to drive that didn't need to be that practical since I have a '97 Buick with 200k+ miles that's still running strong to fill in as my winter car. This Miata will take the pressure off the Regal and is WAY more fun to drive. I regularly go on rides purely for pleasure, and blasting the tunes from an iPod through a tape adapter works just fine for those jaunts.
Favorite Features
Its inherent qualities - 50/50 weight distribution, low riding position, precise steering, independent 4 wheel suspension. The silver with large wheels looks great; because the vehicle is so small it is really easy to clean. I was also pleasantly surprised by the trunk space. My gf and I packed for 4 days of travel and still had enough space for a gallon of washer fluid and gallon of coolant that I picked up on the journey. Also, if you have the soft top up you can store a good amount of items on that back flat space.
Suggested Improvements
Soft top can be difficult to close in cold weather - I strained my neck/back doing it this weekend. Clutch engages a little bit late for my personal tastes; I preferred the Honda Civic Si transmission over the Miata's, but that was a 2013 vs a 2001 so not really a fair comparison. Seats are definitely not that comfortable after a couple hours - I found it useful to put a jacket folded in half along my back to cushion it. They're not too bad though if you're driving less than 100 miles at a time.