Buy 2, they're small
By runsincircles on
2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
Like other reviewers on this post, I love this car. I had a 1991 Miata and loved it and cried the day I sold it. 16 years later I found a pristine BRG SE with a matching hardtop and bought it on the spot. The dealership had it inside with the new Miatas, so I had a chance to compare them visually. I was truly disappointed with the 2009 Miata's interior..cheap plastic and the long strip of fake chrome over the glove box didn't ring my bell. I compared it to my 2001 interior, nothing can touch the beauty of the wood steering wheel, gear shift knob and tan leather seats. Handling is superb and the 6 speed tranny is a joy to shift (Amsoil gear shift oil eliminated my 3rd gear crunch.)
Favorite Features
BRG Paint, factory side and nose skirts. (Tupperware it is called by the Miata community)Wood steering wheel, tan leather surfboard seats, great Bose stereo, great mileage..low 26 mpg per tank, high 36. Tan top, simple to operate, reliability, glass rear heated window, handling, smooth shifting!
Suggested Improvements
Soft paint. Immediately noticed road rash, invested $$$ in an invisible bra for the full hood and both fenders..money well spent. My 1991 Miata also had soft paint, tree sap pitted it and Mazda repainted it. ABS standard. I love the unfettered and uncluttered design..keep it simple in the future!!