Used 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
The Amazing Miata
By Eric

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After four years I have to say I still love my Miata. My mission the day I bought it was to buy a WRX. However coming out of a convertible I was not prepared to totally forego an opening top. The WRX at that time did not have an available sunroof. The other problem, they were so hot all I could find were automatics! Just down the street was a Mazda dealership and I thought why not, the price was right. My test drive sold me 100%! I scared the salesman so that was a bonus. As a former policeman I drive like one ;) The handling is simply spot on superb. Though the stock Bridgestones were awful under 50 degrees. I put on GForce T/As and love them. One request - a bit more HP.

Favorite Features

The handling is spot on superb. Especially once you ditch whatever lousy tire they put on it at the factory. I chose Goodrich GForce T/As and they are awesome!

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower. You start with a perfectly balanced machine but it does lack a bit in 0-60. Improve that by 2 seconds and it would be perfect. I personally lust after a supercharger for my Miata.

BEST SPORTS CAR
By CATHY

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive. Red Exterior with Tan Interior (leather) combination is fabulous. At red lights people always remark how Great Looking the car is. (I do keep it in fantastic condition) Anyway, if you want a roadster with a low sticker price THIS IS THE ONE. You won't regret it.

Favorite Features

Love the manual convertible and Red/Tan combination. The manual top, lets you put down or up in a matter of seconds.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Buy 2, they're small
By nigel

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you are now looking at these reviews, chances are you are considering buying a used miata. Here is my advice. Buy it! Fantastic reliability, exceptional handling, beautiful to behold. Average mpg 30. What's not to like?

Favorite Features

Simple exterior, tastefully designed interior.Quality plastic. Design still holds it own..9 years later! Wood steering wheel, handbrake and gear shift knob great touches. Comfortable seats, great Bose stereo. Buy this car! Top down, it's a budget Boxster..hard top on, it's a cheap Cayman.

Suggested Improvements

Soft paint...invest in an invisible bra to protect hood and fenders.

That which we call a Rose.
By Josh Smith

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Miata is one of those cars people just awe over, you can't help but name it, you want to call 'her' something. The sleek curves give off a sense of class, while the small, but cocky stance says "I want to play". The Miata, in my opinion, is underrated, it has enough power for most people, and enough aftermarket support for the rest of us. A light-weight rear-wheel drive car is just one of those things that any generation could admire. Cruising the interstate with the top down, wind blowing.. You can't resist but feel that you're free.

Favorite Features

I would have to say that my favorite feature is the gas pedal... Just kidding, in all reality, my favorite features would be the easily accessible sound system, easy to change out and upgrade if you needed, and the other would be the abundance of space in the engine bay.

Suggested Improvements

With the Miata you'll definately want to upgrade to a short-ram intake system, and probably an aftermarket exhaust. And you'll definately not want to skimp on the sound system, a good high-quality amp and component speakers with a good quality head-unit will do wonders for this car.

2001 Mazda MX5 LS
By JD Gann

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

One of the best, if not the best, cars I have ever owned. Bought in California and driven home to Texas and averaged over 30 MPG at an average speed of about 95 MPH. Most fun of any vehicle I ever drove and is more reliable than any I have owned which have included several sports cars. The only drawback to certain 2001 MX5s is a very slight clutch shudder when first driven on certain mornings. This is no real problem because it disappears after a couple of starts. I have tangled with BMW Z3s, among others, and blew them off in both high speed acceleration and cornering. If I didn't like this one so much I would buy another at the drop of a hat.

Favorite Features

6 speed transmission, acceleration above 80 MPH, cornering ability, feeling of control and stability over 100 MPH. In fact, the whole car!

Suggested Improvements

Find a fix for the clutch shudder (for picky types).