2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
2001 LS....
By reubenmc on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this car has been what I expected. Lots of fun to drive. Not alot of money. Not too hard on the gas. A few problems: My clutch has deteriorated immensly. Shudders and stutters on Moderate effort starts in first few miles. Worse on wet or humid days, going to persue warranty. Some of door trim has come loose. Safety catch on roof latch stopped catching after 6 months(roof still stays closed but could accidently release). Factory tires lasted 25,000 miles (Bridgstone Turanzas). Seats are too soft in the lumbar area. Emergency Brake handle is a serious knee space intruder.

most fun to drive
By puritanal on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

my first miata was a 1991, and drove it for 118,000 miles and sold 11 years later for $4500 so my new 2001 LS with all the power opstions, I may keep this one a bit longer.

MY FAVORITE CAR
By MIATADOC on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Wonderful car, very few problems, drives and rides exceptionally well for a sports car, especially one with 45 series tires. New VVT helps with power delivery.

Miata
By JLArm on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A great and fun car. After I bought this I sold my motorcycle.

Expensive Experiment
By basic black on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Fun while it lasted. Good "summer car" value for its price range, if you plan on keeping it for four or more years. SEVERE depreciation in first two years. In fact, the local dealer refused to take mine in on trade for an SUV because they have so much trouble getting rid of used Miatas. Mine's for sale. Car also has annoying, minor mechanical problems: Clutch shudder; valve ping; crunchy shifting; hard to keep aligned; the worst paint job I've seen on any car; ridiculous cupholders.

I love this car!
By Sher on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had never considered a car to be fun before. This car is amazing. Having a bad day? Just climb in, drop the top and all is right with the world.

What a car!
By paulcal2 on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It is everything I've heard it was. The shifting is pure fun...lots of leg room, even with my 6'2" frame...and the styling is a real eye catcher. I only wished I'd bought one 10 years earier!

Wheeeeeee
By Dennis Didier on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

No excuses, just poain fun. would like 15-20 more horsepower, but at what expense?

It's a beautiful thing....
By MiataMama on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great little car! In a year of ownership I've had no service problems whatsoever. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Easy to take care of; top is a breeze to put up and down; and it has way more trunk room than the Mazda MR2. Don't drive it in snowy conditions, though. Back end won't stay still. Very scary! Best to have a backup car for that.

FUN!
By Gab on 03/12/02 22:12 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Miata after wanting to get a roadster again. I had Jags, MG's and Triumphs back in 1966-1967. I have not been disappointed. Still look back when I park it! What fun!!!!!