2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
What a great car!
By Sunny on 06/26/06 11:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda Miata MX-5 fulfilled everything I wanted in a convertible - sleek, sexy and sporty. It's a blast to drive. I can't wait to until 5pm when I can leave work and have some real fun. Handles wonderfully, stops on a dime and I'm usually the first off the line from a red light.

I love my Miata
By Scott on 11/22/05 19:03 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Miata. Pros: 1.) It handles like a dream and is a lot of fun to drive. 2.) You can beat most cars off the line. 3.) It looks great. 4.) Reliable 5.) Good gas mileage (if you choose not to have fun.) Cons: 1.) No storage space. 2.) Loud road noise. I love my Miata.

That which we call a Rose.
By Josh Smith on 06/15/05 19:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Miata is one of those cars people just awe over, you can't help but name it, you want to call 'her' something. The sleek curves give off a sense of class, while the small, but cocky stance says "I want to play". The Miata, in my opinion, is underrated, it has enough power for most people, and enough aftermarket support for the rest of us. A light-weight rear-wheel drive car is just one of those things that any generation could admire. Cruising the interstate with the top down, wind blowing.. You can't resist but feel that you're free.

Great fun with many aftermarket add-ons.
By kentman on 06/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about ten months, and it has been a great investment. With the addition of roll bars, 17 inch wheels, supercharger, and all new audio, this car is amazing. It handles like a champ with a great amount of power. You cannot beat this vehicle in price versus quality and performane. I have yet to have any issues with reliablity. It has not yet seen the inside of the dealership. With many Miata clubs and many aftermarket components, this car has been great fun and entertainment. I would highly recommend over the MR2 and the S2000.

EVERYONE smiles at this car
By lifesabrook on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this as a second car -- midlife fantasy, tantalized me from its spot on the car lot. Got great price on 1-year old model with only 8,200 miles on it. I smile when I drive it, and everyone else smiles back. Corners like crazy and maneuvers with confidence. White paint chips easily, and while my car has sport suspension, alarm, gorgeous wheels and stainless racing exhaust, it really needs cruise control; leg position on accelerator gets VERY uncomfortable on the highway. Passenger seat also rattles on bumps when empty and black cloth seats always look "linty."

It's Fun
By Dickie on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I thought after many years of driving sedans, it was about time to have some fun so on my 65th birthday I bought a red Miata and it changed my driving experiences. This car makes you want to drive, especially with its "Zoom- Zoom" power and fast gear shifting. Hard to sane and legal.

Zoom- Zoom
By MSB 4 fun on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the greatest little car for trips to the beach the store or to work it brings back the fun in driving. Have had NO problems what so ever just turn the key and go. The handling right of the show room floor was great when I added four sticky tires the handling was like it was on rails. Needs a better sound system with top down needs an amp or more output. But the care is just plane fun.

Driving those Hills in San Francisco
By ericbythebay on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car on Halloween Night! 2nd Miata (traded in 1993)and was very pleased on the upgrades over the years...Very comfortable, but having had MG's and an old Miata felt a lot of the rough/bumpy of the old Sports car was missing...I enjoyed that kind a feeling...The Mazda rumble is missing. More like a whine! Car is more like a cushy compact with the top down. Handles beautifully. Wont win any speed races with the power.

Expensive Experiment
By basic black on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Fun while it lasted. Good "summer car" value for its price range, if you plan on keeping it for four or more years. SEVERE depreciation in first two years. In fact, the local dealer refused to take mine in on trade for an SUV because they have so much trouble getting rid of used Miatas. Mine's for sale. Car also has annoying, minor mechanical problems: Clutch shudder; valve ping; crunchy shifting; hard to keep aligned; the worst paint job I've seen on any car; ridiculous cupholders.

What a car!
By paulcal2 on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It is everything I've heard it was. The shifting is pure fun...lots of leg room, even with my 6'2" frame...and the styling is a real eye catcher. I only wished I'd bought one 10 years earier!