2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Best car ever!
By miata_coastie on 09/07/13 17:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 LS Miata as my first car. Mine is an LS with a 6-speed which makes it feel even sportier! I bought it as a fun but temporary car until I was able to upgrade to something with more power, but I've fallen in love. The car is so light that when paired with my summer performance tires I can fly around corners! So far I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust and it sounds AMAZING! For those who want more power there are an endless amount of aftermarket parts for it from the intake and exhaust like I have to turbo's and even V-8's! Best car ever! NEVER getting rid of it! FYI if anyone's looking for an autocross car, look no further!

My first vehicle purchased
By ihanson on 03/04/13 11:49 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I flew across country (MN to AZ) to pick up my silver 2001 LS with 17" rims, chrome style bar and leather interior, and most importantly a rust free body. I drove it the 2,000 miles home in February with no issues and it has been a champ back here since then. I had been looking at something fun to drive that didn't need to be that practical since I have a '97 Buick with 200k+ miles that's still running strong to fill in as my winter car. This Miata will take the pressure off the Regal and is WAY more fun to drive. I regularly go on rides purely for pleasure, and blasting the tunes from an iPod through a tape adapter works just fine for those jaunts.

Buy 2, they're small
By nigel on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you are now looking at these reviews, chances are you are considering buying a used miata. Here is my advice. Buy it! Fantastic reliability, exceptional handling, beautiful to behold. Average mpg 30. What's not to like?

Buy 2, they're small
By runsincircles on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Like other reviewers on this post, I love this car. I had a 1991 Miata and loved it and cried the day I sold it. 16 years later I found a pristine BRG SE with a matching hardtop and bought it on the spot. The dealership had it inside with the new Miatas, so I had a chance to compare them visually. I was truly disappointed with the 2009 Miata's interior..cheap plastic and the long strip of fake chrome over the glove box didn't ring my bell. I compared it to my 2001 interior, nothing can touch the beauty of the wood steering wheel, gear shift knob and tan leather seats. Handling is superb and the 6 speed tranny is a joy to shift (Amsoil gear shift oil eliminated my 3rd gear crunch.)

Great little car!
By DougJ on 08/28/10 08:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I started out just looking for something cheap to commute in on the mountainous roads where I live. I decided to go ahead and get a truly fun car, which meant rear wheel drive, which lead to the Miata. It's a fantastic car, well built with the goal in mind of emulating a British roadster-one that runs. Not much power but a lively, fun engine mated to a great gearbox and chassis. It has just enough torque to let you loaf along if you want, but loves to rev. Fantastic handling and feedback from all the controls. Very composed even if you push it hard. It's a joy with the top down! Solid design and extremely reliable. I got this one with 78,000 miles on it and expect to drive it for years.

Fun going Topless
By flash9 on 01/27/10 13:43 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

After looking at Miata, S2000, and the MR2. I finally decided if I could find a 2001 Miata SE (British Racing Green) for a fair amount I would buy on as a fun run about car. We have had the car for nearly a year and it has exceeded all expectations.

BEST SPORTS CAR
By CATHY on 03/16/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive. Red Exterior with Tan Interior (leather) combination is fabulous. At red lights people always remark how Great Looking the car is. (I do keep it in fantastic condition) Anyway, if you want a roadster with a low sticker price THIS IS THE ONE. You won't regret it.

Our fun car
By djml01miata on 04/14/08 21:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Always read about how fun Miatas were to drive, so just bought a 7 year old 01. People think it is brand new until they see 106K on the odometer. We drive Lexus for comfort but the Miata is just plain fun. Until we add on to the garage the "comfort car" will sit outside. My wife is into this as much as I am, even planning a long road trip just to spend more time in it.

Great fun car
By Tiom Fisher on 11/02/07 13:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this Miata since it had 3000 miles. I drive about 6k per year on and around the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is a second car which is driven only in spring-fall. Putting the top down takes about 20 seconds and the car is simple to operate and fun to drive.

2001 Mazda MX5 LS
By JD Gann on 05/23/07 12:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

One of the best, if not the best, cars I have ever owned. Bought in California and driven home to Texas and averaged over 30 MPG at an average speed of about 95 MPH. Most fun of any vehicle I ever drove and is more reliable than any I have owned which have included several sports cars. The only drawback to certain 2001 MX5s is a very slight clutch shudder when first driven on certain mornings. This is no real problem because it disappears after a couple of starts. I have tangled with BMW Z3s, among others, and blew them off in both high speed acceleration and cornering. If I didn't like this one so much I would buy another at the drop of a hat.

1 2 3 4 5 next »