Used 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Best car ever!
By miata_coastie

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 LS Miata as my first car. Mine is an LS with a 6-speed which makes it feel even sportier! I bought it as a fun but temporary car until I was able to upgrade to something with more power, but I've fallen in love. The car is so light that when paired with my summer performance tires I can fly around corners! So far I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust and it sounds AMAZING! For those who want more power there are an endless amount of aftermarket parts for it from the intake and exhaust like I have to turbo's and even V-8's! Best car ever! NEVER getting rid of it! FYI if anyone's looking for an autocross car, look no further!

Favorite Features

Handling, convertible, aftermarket parts selection, looks, responsiveness, reliability, simplicity.

Suggested Improvements

None. Maybe...nope...what about?...Nah, that's good...how about the...nope that's good too. Yeah, can't think of anything.

My first vehicle purchased
By ihanson

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I flew across country (MN to AZ) to pick up my silver 2001 LS with 17" rims, chrome style bar and leather interior, and most importantly a rust free body. I drove it the 2,000 miles home in February with no issues and it has been a champ back here since then. I had been looking at something fun to drive that didn't need to be that practical since I have a '97 Buick with 200k+ miles that's still running strong to fill in as my winter car. This Miata will take the pressure off the Regal and is WAY more fun to drive. I regularly go on rides purely for pleasure, and blasting the tunes from an iPod through a tape adapter works just fine for those jaunts.

Favorite Features

Its inherent qualities - 50/50 weight distribution, low riding position, precise steering, independent 4 wheel suspension. The silver with large wheels looks great; because the vehicle is so small it is really easy to clean. I was also pleasantly surprised by the trunk space. My gf and I packed for 4 days of travel and still had enough space for a gallon of washer fluid and gallon of coolant that I picked up on the journey. Also, if you have the soft top up you can store a good amount of items on that back flat space.

Suggested Improvements

Soft top can be difficult to close in cold weather - I strained my neck/back doing it this weekend. Clutch engages a little bit late for my personal tastes; I preferred the Honda Civic Si transmission over the Miata's, but that was a 2013 vs a 2001 so not really a fair comparison. Seats are definitely not that comfortable after a couple hours - I found it useful to put a jacket folded in half along my back to cushion it. They're not too bad though if you're driving less than 100 miles at a time.

Buy 2, they're small
By nigel

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you are now looking at these reviews, chances are you are considering buying a used miata. Here is my advice. Buy it! Fantastic reliability, exceptional handling, beautiful to behold. Average mpg 30. What's not to like?

Favorite Features

Simple exterior, tastefully designed interior.Quality plastic. Design still holds it own..9 years later! Wood steering wheel, handbrake and gear shift knob great touches. Comfortable seats, great Bose stereo. Buy this car! Top down, it's a budget Boxster..hard top on, it's a cheap Cayman.

Suggested Improvements

Soft paint...invest in an invisible bra to protect hood and fenders.

Buy 2, they're small
By runsincircles

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Like other reviewers on this post, I love this car. I had a 1991 Miata and loved it and cried the day I sold it. 16 years later I found a pristine BRG SE with a matching hardtop and bought it on the spot. The dealership had it inside with the new Miatas, so I had a chance to compare them visually. I was truly disappointed with the 2009 Miata's interior..cheap plastic and the long strip of fake chrome over the glove box didn't ring my bell. I compared it to my 2001 interior, nothing can touch the beauty of the wood steering wheel, gear shift knob and tan leather seats. Handling is superb and the 6 speed tranny is a joy to shift (Amsoil gear shift oil eliminated my 3rd gear crunch.)

Favorite Features

BRG Paint, factory side and nose skirts. (Tupperware it is called by the Miata community)Wood steering wheel, tan leather surfboard seats, great Bose stereo, great mileage..low 26 mpg per tank, high 36. Tan top, simple to operate, reliability, glass rear heated window, handling, smooth shifting!

Suggested Improvements

Soft paint. Immediately noticed road rash, invested $$$ in an invisible bra for the full hood and both fenders..money well spent. My 1991 Miata also had soft paint, tree sap pitted it and Mazda repainted it. ABS standard. I love the unfettered and uncluttered design..keep it simple in the future!!

Great little car!
By DougJ

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I started out just looking for something cheap to commute in on the mountainous roads where I live. I decided to go ahead and get a truly fun car, which meant rear wheel drive, which lead to the Miata. It's a fantastic car, well built with the goal in mind of emulating a British roadster-one that runs. Not much power but a lively, fun engine mated to a great gearbox and chassis. It has just enough torque to let you loaf along if you want, but loves to rev. Fantastic handling and feedback from all the controls. Very composed even if you push it hard. It's a joy with the top down! Solid design and extremely reliable. I got this one with 78,000 miles on it and expect to drive it for years.

Favorite Features

Handling and performance, easy up and down manual top, comfort, fuel economy. Looks great. FUN FACTOR!

Suggested Improvements

Transmission could have been done with an overdrive, it has the torque to run down the highway at 1000 RPM less than it does. Doesn't hurt anything though, this engine will run forever at 4000 RPM at 80 MPH.