2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Buy 2, they're small
By nigel on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you are now looking at these reviews, chances are you are considering buying a used miata. Here is my advice. Buy it! Fantastic reliability, exceptional handling, beautiful to behold. Average mpg 30. What's not to like?

Buy 2, they're small
By runsincircles on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Like other reviewers on this post, I love this car. I had a 1991 Miata and loved it and cried the day I sold it. 16 years later I found a pristine BRG SE with a matching hardtop and bought it on the spot. The dealership had it inside with the new Miatas, so I had a chance to compare them visually. I was truly disappointed with the 2009 Miata's interior..cheap plastic and the long strip of fake chrome over the glove box didn't ring my bell. I compared it to my 2001 interior, nothing can touch the beauty of the wood steering wheel, gear shift knob and tan leather seats. Handling is superb and the 6 speed tranny is a joy to shift (Amsoil gear shift oil eliminated my 3rd gear crunch.)

Fun going Topless
By flash9 on 01/27/10 13:43 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

After looking at Miata, S2000, and the MR2. I finally decided if I could find a 2001 Miata SE (British Racing Green) for a fair amount I would buy on as a fun run about car. We have had the car for nearly a year and it has exceeded all expectations.

Still Smiling
By G Feltis on 03/15/07 12:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is one fun car. Looked for several months before purchasing a used Special Edition with 53K miles. This is one of many Mazda's I have purchased. Great handling, good brakes, this car begs to be driven enthusiastically. The six speed is great, shifts smoothly and precisely and keeps the rpm's below 4000 at 75 mph. I will go out of my way to take a twisty set of roads, this car is easy to push hard in the corners. It takes a set and with smooth power application will drift progressively,and when pushed hard will break lose in the rear. If this Mazda lasts as long as my 91 truck I will be smiling for years to come.

2001 Miata SE
By icecreaman on 03/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

A wonderful car that continues to bring a smile to my face, and encourages the development of good driving skills. Plenty of power for normal driving, a responsive and fun ride at highway speeds. (Under 40 mph, in town, nothing to brag about.) Stylish exterior, well designed and thought out interior, and high quality, both cosmetically and mechanically make this car a winner. The trunk holds more than its appearance conveys, and so if you can accept this car for what it is (2 seater, firm ride, limited cargo room, I believe that you will be quite pleased, and experience the same pride of ownership that I have.

It's all good !
By Lone Ranger on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The most fun you can have with your pants on ....

MY FAVORITE CAR
By MIATADOC on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Wonderful car, very few problems, drives and rides exceptionally well for a sports car, especially one with 45 series tires. New VVT helps with power delivery.

It's a beautiful thing....
By MiataMama on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great little car! In a year of ownership I've had no service problems whatsoever. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Easy to take care of; top is a breeze to put up and down; and it has way more trunk room than the Mazda MR2. Don't drive it in snowy conditions, though. Back end won't stay still. Very scary! Best to have a backup car for that.

Fun Car!
By J Wilson on 02/26/02 11:55 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Wow! This car is great. This is the first Miata that I've owned so the experience is new for this brand. I have owned several other rag-tops, but none as fun as the Miata. It is a blast to just let the top down and drive anywhere. Took it on a long trip (800 miles each way) to Key West. No problem on the highway. Cruised just fine.