Used 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Buy 2, they're small
By nigel

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you are now looking at these reviews, chances are you are considering buying a used miata. Here is my advice. Buy it! Fantastic reliability, exceptional handling, beautiful to behold. Average mpg 30. What's not to like?

Simple exterior, tastefully designed interior.Quality plastic. Design still holds it own..9 years later! Wood steering wheel, handbrake and gear shift knob great touches. Comfortable seats, great Bose stereo. Buy this car! Top down, it's a budget Boxster..hard top on, it's a cheap Cayman.

Soft paint...invest in an invisible bra to protect hood and fenders.

Buy 2, they're small
By runsincircles

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Like other reviewers on this post, I love this car. I had a 1991 Miata and loved it and cried the day I sold it. 16 years later I found a pristine BRG SE with a matching hardtop and bought it on the spot. The dealership had it inside with the new Miatas, so I had a chance to compare them visually. I was truly disappointed with the 2009 Miata's interior..cheap plastic and the long strip of fake chrome over the glove box didn't ring my bell. I compared it to my 2001 interior, nothing can touch the beauty of the wood steering wheel, gear shift knob and tan leather seats. Handling is superb and the 6 speed tranny is a joy to shift (Amsoil gear shift oil eliminated my 3rd gear crunch.)

BRG Paint, factory side and nose skirts. (Tupperware it is called by the Miata community)Wood steering wheel, tan leather surfboard seats, great Bose stereo, great mileage..low 26 mpg per tank, high 36. Tan top, simple to operate, reliability, glass rear heated window, handling, smooth shifting!

Soft paint. Immediately noticed road rash, invested $$$ in an invisible bra for the full hood and both fenders..money well spent. My 1991 Miata also had soft paint, tree sap pitted it and Mazda repainted it. ABS standard. I love the unfettered and uncluttered design..keep it simple in the future!!

Fun going Topless
By flash9

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

After looking at Miata, S2000, and the MR2. I finally decided if I could find a 2001 Miata SE (British Racing Green) for a fair amount I would buy on as a fun run about car. We have had the car for nearly a year and it has exceeded all expectations.

It is just so much fun to drive with the top down on sunny days. If the temperature is above 40 and it is sunny we drive with the top down. If not we just drive a different car.

Mine has the 6-speed, and I wish it had the 5-speeds gears, and then the 6th gear would truly be an OVERDRIVE. It would make the occasional highway drive much more pleasant. That being said it is not intended for the highway, but for the back twisty roads.

Still Smiling
By G Feltis

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is one fun car. Looked for several months before purchasing a used Special Edition with 53K miles. This is one of many Mazda's I have purchased. Great handling, good brakes, this car begs to be driven enthusiastically. The six speed is great, shifts smoothly and precisely and keeps the rpm's below 4000 at 75 mph. I will go out of my way to take a twisty set of roads, this car is easy to push hard in the corners. It takes a set and with smooth power application will drift progressively,and when pushed hard will break lose in the rear. If this Mazda lasts as long as my 91 truck I will be smiling for years to come.

6 speed, limited slip differential, British Racing Green paint.

A bit more power without a weight penalty.

2001 Miata SE
By icecreaman

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

A wonderful car that continues to bring a smile to my face, and encourages the development of good driving skills. Plenty of power for normal driving, a responsive and fun ride at highway speeds. (Under 40 mph, in town, nothing to brag about.) Stylish exterior, well designed and thought out interior, and high quality, both cosmetically and mechanically make this car a winner. The trunk holds more than its appearance conveys, and so if you can accept this car for what it is (2 seater, firm ride, limited cargo room, I believe that you will be quite pleased, and experience the same pride of ownership that I have.

Favorites include wooden steering wheel, shift knob,& parking brake lever. Bose stereo system, convertable top,sporty suspension, anatomic seats, & user friendly cabin controls.

Mazda has gotton this car 98% right. Here's what they should do to perfect it. Add lights in: glove box, under hood,& trunk w/switch linked to opening (not headlights). And, if they ever make a model w/a small rear bench seat, (a la fiat spider)-I'll trade-in mine & buy the new model!