2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Best car ever!
By miata_coastie on 09/07/13 17:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 LS Miata as my first car. Mine is an LS with a 6-speed which makes it feel even sportier! I bought it as a fun but temporary car until I was able to upgrade to something with more power, but I've fallen in love. The car is so light that when paired with my summer performance tires I can fly around corners! So far I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust and it sounds AMAZING! For those who want more power there are an endless amount of aftermarket parts for it from the intake and exhaust like I have to turbo's and even V-8's! Best car ever! NEVER getting rid of it! FYI if anyone's looking for an autocross car, look no further!

My first vehicle purchased
By ihanson on 03/04/13 11:49 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I flew across country (MN to AZ) to pick up my silver 2001 LS with 17" rims, chrome style bar and leather interior, and most importantly a rust free body. I drove it the 2,000 miles home in February with no issues and it has been a champ back here since then. I had been looking at something fun to drive that didn't need to be that practical since I have a '97 Buick with 200k+ miles that's still running strong to fill in as my winter car. This Miata will take the pressure off the Regal and is WAY more fun to drive. I regularly go on rides purely for pleasure, and blasting the tunes from an iPod through a tape adapter works just fine for those jaunts.

Great little car!
By DougJ on 08/28/10 08:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I started out just looking for something cheap to commute in on the mountainous roads where I live. I decided to go ahead and get a truly fun car, which meant rear wheel drive, which lead to the Miata. It's a fantastic car, well built with the goal in mind of emulating a British roadster-one that runs. Not much power but a lively, fun engine mated to a great gearbox and chassis. It has just enough torque to let you loaf along if you want, but loves to rev. Fantastic handling and feedback from all the controls. Very composed even if you push it hard. It's a joy with the top down! Solid design and extremely reliable. I got this one with 78,000 miles on it and expect to drive it for years.

BEST SPORTS CAR
By CATHY on 03/16/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive. Red Exterior with Tan Interior (leather) combination is fabulous. At red lights people always remark how Great Looking the car is. (I do keep it in fantastic condition) Anyway, if you want a roadster with a low sticker price THIS IS THE ONE. You won't regret it.

Our fun car
By djml01miata on 04/14/08 21:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Always read about how fun Miatas were to drive, so just bought a 7 year old 01. People think it is brand new until they see 106K on the odometer. We drive Lexus for comfort but the Miata is just plain fun. Until we add on to the garage the "comfort car" will sit outside. My wife is into this as much as I am, even planning a long road trip just to spend more time in it.

Great fun car
By Tiom Fisher on 11/02/07 13:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this Miata since it had 3000 miles. I drive about 6k per year on and around the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is a second car which is driven only in spring-fall. Putting the top down takes about 20 seconds and the car is simple to operate and fun to drive.

2001 Mazda MX5 LS
By JD Gann on 05/23/07 12:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

One of the best, if not the best, cars I have ever owned. Bought in California and driven home to Texas and averaged over 30 MPG at an average speed of about 95 MPH. Most fun of any vehicle I ever drove and is more reliable than any I have owned which have included several sports cars. The only drawback to certain 2001 MX5s is a very slight clutch shudder when first driven on certain mornings. This is no real problem because it disappears after a couple of starts. I have tangled with BMW Z3s, among others, and blew them off in both high speed acceleration and cornering. If I didn't like this one so much I would buy another at the drop of a hat.

The Amazing Miata
By Eric on 04/01/05 12:17 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After four years I have to say I still love my Miata. My mission the day I bought it was to buy a WRX. However coming out of a convertible I was not prepared to totally forego an opening top. The WRX at that time did not have an available sunroof. The other problem, they were so hot all I could find were automatics! Just down the street was a Mazda dealership and I thought why not, the price was right. My test drive sold me 100%! I scared the salesman so that was a bonus. As a former policeman I drive like one ;) The handling is simply spot on superb. Though the stock Bridgestones were awful under 50 degrees. I put on GForce T/As and love them. One request - a bit more HP.

BRG Miata
By TaTahn on 03/28/05 08:01 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

With a few modificatons to the engine and exhaust, this TRUE Sports car can scoot. Have tried to break it loose in corners but the handling is super for a stock roadster. Think I see a 2006 on the horizon, this is one awesome vehicle.

fun toy
By noname on 02/16/05 03:58 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 3 years since it was new and it is the best toy I ever owned. Close to worthless for long interstate drives since it's noisy and uncomfy for long sitting periods. However for pure fun on curvy mountain roads with the top down, it can make your day. No complaints whatsoever, but the car is not a BMW. I think of it as a go kart with a great sound system. I would not have this as my only car; can't even use it to go grocery shopping and forget out of town for 2 trips with the limited luggage space unless you pack lightly. But it is a great car for what it is.