Used 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

What a great car!
By Sunny

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda Miata MX-5 fulfilled everything I wanted in a convertible - sleek, sexy and sporty. It's a blast to drive. I can't wait to until 5pm when I can leave work and have some real fun. Handles wonderfully, stops on a dime and I'm usually the first off the line from a red light.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the curvy body style and tight handling.

Suggested Improvements

More power under the hood!

I love my Miata
By Scott

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Miata. Pros: 1.) It handles like a dream and is a lot of fun to drive. 2.) You can beat most cars off the line. 3.) It looks great. 4.) Reliable 5.) Good gas mileage (if you choose not to have fun.) Cons: 1.) No storage space. 2.) Loud road noise. I love my Miata.

Favorite Features

I love the way the car drives.

Suggested Improvements

Mazda needs to put more power under the hood.

That which we call a Rose.
By Josh Smith

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Miata is one of those cars people just awe over, you can't help but name it, you want to call 'her' something. The sleek curves give off a sense of class, while the small, but cocky stance says "I want to play". The Miata, in my opinion, is underrated, it has enough power for most people, and enough aftermarket support for the rest of us. A light-weight rear-wheel drive car is just one of those things that any generation could admire. Cruising the interstate with the top down, wind blowing.. You can't resist but feel that you're free.

Favorite Features

I would have to say that my favorite feature is the gas pedal... Just kidding, in all reality, my favorite features would be the easily accessible sound system, easy to change out and upgrade if you needed, and the other would be the abundance of space in the engine bay.

Suggested Improvements

With the Miata you'll definately want to upgrade to a short-ram intake system, and probably an aftermarket exhaust. And you'll definately not want to skimp on the sound system, a good high-quality amp and component speakers with a good quality head-unit will do wonders for this car.

Great fun with many aftermarket add-ons.
By kentman

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about ten months, and it has been a great investment. With the addition of roll bars, 17 inch wheels, supercharger, and all new audio, this car is amazing. It handles like a champ with a great amount of power. You cannot beat this vehicle in price versus quality and performane. I have yet to have any issues with reliablity. It has not yet seen the inside of the dealership. With many Miata clubs and many aftermarket components, this car has been great fun and entertainment. I would highly recommend over the MR2 and the S2000.

Favorite Features

Handling, Styling, Top Down Fun

Suggested Improvements

Mazdaspeed Miata has the right idea.

EVERYONE smiles at this car
By lifesabrook

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this as a second car -- midlife fantasy, tantalized me from its spot on the car lot. Got great price on 1-year old model with only 8,200 miles on it. I smile when I drive it, and everyone else smiles back. Corners like crazy and maneuvers with confidence. White paint chips easily, and while my car has sport suspension, alarm, gorgeous wheels and stainless racing exhaust, it really needs cruise control; leg position on accelerator gets VERY uncomfortable on the highway. Passenger seat also rattles on bumps when empty and black cloth seats always look "linty."

Favorite Features

Looks so sexy, great fun at a low price. Old fashioned sports car feeling but with mechanical reliability. Great "growl" to racing exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system is useless with top down. All models should come with cruise control. Fatigue factor on long highway drives -- no cruise, high RPMs, steering around bumps and potholes due to stiff suspension.