2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
O.K., But......
By mikehs2 on 11/08/11 19:54 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

Remember this car was designed by the Japanese to imitate the experience of the MG. The MG was designed for the very winding roads of back woods England, 35-45 M.P.H. They totally hit the mark,if you drive a lot on very windy country roads, or just drive around town to Safeway and Starbucks. However, if you are on the freeway at all, this is not an "Autobahn" car. At 60 M.P.H. the R.P.M.'s are 3,500+. It has 5 speeds. So, on any normal vehicle the R.P.M. should be about 1,800. Realistically, with the right gear ratio, this car could get 45-50 M.P.G at 60. Watch out for the plastic radiator. It will fail between 120K-130K.

Makes a commute feel like a vacation
By Mac on 03/21/10 20:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

I have been driving mine as a daily 80 mile commuter for nearly 2 years and it has been simply a blast. Fun during the winter with the hardtop on. Just a delight in the warmer days with the top down. Getting 28-30 mpg. My wife says it makes her feel like we're on vacation every time we go out for a spin. Low cost, reliable, daily driver. I SMILE during my commute!

A scalpel in a world of hammers
By MRGTX on 02/08/08 06:19 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

This is my second Miata and the rush of endorphins that these car are capable of inducing has not waned at all in my almost ten years of Miata ownership. There's nothing on the road as inexpensive to own and reliable while being as much fun. You can't help but fall in love with these cars! Sublime handling, intuitive steering, shifting is a pleasure. Second generation (like the 2000) offers some nice improvements glass window, stiffer body, etc. while not being much (if any) heavier. I miss the pop-up lights though.

2000 LS - Reliable and Fun
By Brandon on 10/04/07 10:18 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

This car has been a blast. Super reliable and fun to drive. This is my daily driver as well and the car saw an icy New Jersey winter last year. Was fine with a set of 4 snow tires. I only broke the end loose once. These cars are a great buy and will last well beyond 200k miles with some TLC. I think the 160-180hp range would have been better suited for the car as it feels kind of slow down low with lack of torque. If you're looking for a low maintenance, reliable 2 seater convertible, this car is probably for you.

After 7 years this is a great car!
By joelybeau on 09/08/07 10:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

I bought this car to drive to and from my workplace. The road I take is all curves. This car will still make any of the curves at twice the posted speed limit; however I never would break the law ;~) This car has been the best "fun per dollar" ratio of any car I've owned. No mechanical problems ever, period! Put gas in it, change the oil, keep the tires pressurized correctly and drive it. If you are looking for a fun low priced car, get one of these!

I LOVE my Miata!
By wolfwood on 03/22/06 21:00 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

There is NOTHING about this car that I would change (& I'm not yet convinced the '06 body restyling is an improvement). Even my mechanic loves it & is disappointed to only see it for Spring tune-up & Fall storage prep. The car lives in NH & handles A LOT of rough weather without a whimper. Now that its 5 years old, I pamper it a bit more and store it for the winter. Mid-November is a sad time. Dreamed of owning a Miata from 1st release and finally jumped in 2000 when I saw it in British racing green/tan. CLASSIC! Wish I'd done it sooner but at least I did eventually & NEVER looked back. Never much cared about what I drove as long as it was fairly decent. I LOVE THIS CAR! It's more than a car - it's part of my spirit!

2000 miata
By ricklfitz on 06/01/05 12:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

no problems except make sure you tighten the fuel cap after fuleing...3 clicks..sends a check engine light...found out the hard way...ha ha

Zoom Zoom On
By Cuchulain on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

Had a blast with the car from when I picked it up this summer 'till I tucked it away from the harsh New England winter. Patiently waiting for the Spring. Never drove anything with such a solid and flat handling stance. Since designed from ground up as a convertible, body flex is less than many other convertibles.

Very good car indeed.
By Jimmymodelman on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

I like this car very much. Great condition, drive much nicer than my reliable 94 Miata. This newer car's audio system has this occasional annoying static coming from the left tweeter . Howerver, the Bose audio is wonderful. My 5 speed midnite blue Miata drives very well. I haven't pushed it to the limit, but I probably won't try that any time soon. The car seems to be passing faster on the top gear. Much smoother engine than my 94'. Gas mileage drops a little bit, though. I will BUY another Miata AGAIN, no REGRETS. PROUD OWNER OF 2 MIATAS.

Love it!
By Wimbimlim on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

I've only owned my Miata for 1 year, but I already found myself staring at it this spring on a warm day in March while it sat stored in my garage. This is the most practical fun I've ever had! I have to drive places anyway; why not enjoy the trip?