Used 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Mx-5-miata - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Most Helpful|
Makes you excited to wake up
By rst900

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Convertible

I bought my 2000 SE 4 months ago and I.m driving it for my daily commute.It still keeps me excited and makes me wake up early than I used to just so I can have more time to drive it. Problem is I've been putting more miles to it than I should, approximately 3000 miles a month, and I get to work late almost every time. But I always get to work with a smile on my face :-)

Favorite Features

I never did anything myself to maintain cars that i used to drive, this one just gets to you and makes you want to do everything yourself. It's relatively easy to maintain. Parts are relatively cheap and easy to find.

Suggested Improvements

The hinge in the center console brakes too easy. The warning sign paint on the visor falls off like powder.

O.K., But......
By mikehs2

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

Remember this car was designed by the Japanese to imitate the experience of the MG. The MG was designed for the very winding roads of back woods England, 35-45 M.P.H. They totally hit the mark,if you drive a lot on very windy country roads, or just drive around town to Safeway and Starbucks. However, if you are on the freeway at all, this is not an "Autobahn" car. At 60 M.P.H. the R.P.M.'s are 3,500+. It has 5 speeds. So, on any normal vehicle the R.P.M. should be about 1,800. Realistically, with the right gear ratio, this car could get 45-50 M.P.G at 60. Watch out for the plastic radiator. It will fail between 120K-130K.

Favorite Features

O.K. for chicks who want to look cool. Not for guys 5'6", or above.

Suggested Improvements

Up the gear ratio. On "Click and Clack" they commented on the fact that the Miata could "Climb a tree". True, but terrible on the open road, i.e. I-5, S.F. to L.A.

Fun on a shoestring budget
By rangermutt

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

My wife has wanted a convertible for years so I wait until we moved from California to Iowa to get her one. Go figure. Actually, I drive it as a daily driver and except for a couple of big snowstorms it has served me well. My wife does get to drive it occasionally and we cannot wait for warm weather. My 16 year old daughter wants to learn how to drive a manual tranny so there will be some bonding (and praying) going on. Most fun car I have ever owned bar none! I have already gotten sideways on some corners.

Favorite Features

Manual trans, great cornering, good gas mileage, glass rear window, tight sealing convertible top, heater warms up really fast.

Suggested Improvements

Taller gearing for highway cruising. I am not going to comment on the cupholders as I seldom drink anything in the car.

2000 LS - Reliable and Fun
By Brandon

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

This car has been a blast. Super reliable and fun to drive. This is my daily driver as well and the car saw an icy New Jersey winter last year. Was fine with a set of 4 snow tires. I only broke the end loose once. These cars are a great buy and will last well beyond 200k miles with some TLC. I think the 160-180hp range would have been better suited for the car as it feels kind of slow down low with lack of torque. If you're looking for a low maintenance, reliable 2 seater convertible, this car is probably for you.

Favorite Features

Rear wheel drive with a Limited Slip Diff. on the LS model, manual top easy to put down. The motor is bulletproof and extremely reliable, even taking it to the 7000 rpm redline daily. Also has a great online community and support.

Suggested Improvements

Coilpack failure is somewhat common on the 99-00 causing misfires. Cupholders are terrible. Cheap plastics inside and the Bose audio system is horrible. The leather seats barely have any bolsters, so going around a curve will slide you around. Not the best car for taller drivers.

A scalpel in a world of hammers
By MRGTX

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

This is my second Miata and the rush of endorphins that these car are capable of inducing has not waned at all in my almost ten years of Miata ownership. There's nothing on the road as inexpensive to own and reliable while being as much fun. You can't help but fall in love with these cars! Sublime handling, intuitive steering, shifting is a pleasure. Second generation (like the 2000) offers some nice improvements glass window, stiffer body, etc. while not being much (if any) heavier. I miss the pop-up lights though.

Favorite Features

Superb suspension design, giddiness inducing gearbox, classic/unpretentious exterior styling, amazing aftermarket and owner community. One of the most reliable and trouble free cars period, possibly the most reliable sports car ever.

Suggested Improvements

Bose speakers don't sound right (there may have been a recall on this), seats could use more side support for the kind of handling this car is capable of (I believe this was fixed for 2001).