2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
O.K., But......
By mikehs2 on 11/08/11 19:54 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

Remember this car was designed by the Japanese to imitate the experience of the MG. The MG was designed for the very winding roads of back woods England, 35-45 M.P.H. They totally hit the mark,if you drive a lot on very windy country roads, or just drive around town to Safeway and Starbucks. However, if you are on the freeway at all, this is not an "Autobahn" car. At 60 M.P.H. the R.P.M.'s are 3,500+. It has 5 speeds. So, on any normal vehicle the R.P.M. should be about 1,800. Realistically, with the right gear ratio, this car could get 45-50 M.P.G at 60. Watch out for the plastic radiator. It will fail between 120K-130K.

Makes you excited to wake up
By rst900 on 09/11/11 21:15 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Convertible

I bought my 2000 SE 4 months ago and I.m driving it for my daily commute.It still keeps me excited and makes me wake up early than I used to just so I can have more time to drive it. Problem is I've been putting more miles to it than I should, approximately 3000 miles a month, and I get to work late almost every time. But I always get to work with a smile on my face :-)

Makes a commute feel like a vacation
By Mac on 03/21/10 20:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

I have been driving mine as a daily 80 mile commuter for nearly 2 years and it has been simply a blast. Fun during the winter with the hardtop on. Just a delight in the warmer days with the top down. Getting 28-30 mpg. My wife says it makes her feel like we're on vacation every time we go out for a spin. Low cost, reliable, daily driver. I SMILE during my commute!

My 3rd Miata
By Rick on 01/24/10 15:02 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I live in south Florida and this is my 3rd Miata. I very rarely drive with the top up. I have been known to drop the top to drive to Publix a half mile away. I had a '93 and then a '95 which I sold with 190,000 miles on it. Bought my 2000 with 36,000 (almost brand new!). This car is much better than the type 1 cars. The trunk has finally been designed to hold something and I do not miss the barn door headlights. In my old cars the trunk would hold my Les Paul case but not an SG case. The new trunk is redesigned to easily hold a larger guitar case. Some people laugh at a musician owning a Miata but I can pack 2 electric guitars, 1 acoustic guitar, my amp, keyboard, tenor sax and misc. stuff.

Miata Equals Fun
By KAG Miata on 05/16/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Miatas are pure driving enjoyment. Simple and lightweight they thrive on winding roads. My 2000 has 32000 miles on it and has been rock solid reliable. The body is rigid, with only mild cowl shake. Interior space is OK if you're under 6 feet. A tilt wheel would be nice, but otherwise, the dash layout is clean and easy to read. The manual tranny is easy to shift with short throws. One of the nicest benefits of a Miata is that you don't need to spend a fortune to have fun. I'm sorry I waited so long to get one.

Amazing Sports Car Value
By KAG MIATA on 03/28/09 12:22 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

It took years of saving, but the Miata was worth the wait. A pure, simple sports car, the Miata loves to be tossed around, and loves to rev. My car has 32000 miles on it and is as tight as a drum. The manual transmission is a joy to shift with it's tight, short throws. Aerodynamics are quite good as you can drive with the top down on chilly days while the heater keeps the cabin warm. As an added bonus, there are loads of support sites, clubs, and accessories available to the Miata owner. If you've been thinking of a Miata stop thinking and start driving.

Still love my miata!
By Vegas Resident on 03/18/08 09:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Convertible

Here it is 8 years later and I still love my car. It has only 50,000 miles and lots of love. In that time I have had only a few minor repairs. One was to replace the master and slave cylinder for the clutch system and finally am putting in a new radiator. But what to expect when your summers are 115 degrees with no rain day in and day out. It still purrs like a kitten and I finally had my first brake pad replacement. All other parts still original and no major problems. In fact I think the NB is the best of the miata runs. It gained the necessary curves that made it so sweet. The NC lost some of those curves which was sad and got some fenders that were more RX in looks.

Fun on a shoestring budget
By rangermutt on 03/05/08 13:47 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

My wife has wanted a convertible for years so I wait until we moved from California to Iowa to get her one. Go figure. Actually, I drive it as a daily driver and except for a couple of big snowstorms it has served me well. My wife does get to drive it occasionally and we cannot wait for warm weather. My 16 year old daughter wants to learn how to drive a manual tranny so there will be some bonding (and praying) going on. Most fun car I have ever owned bar none! I have already gotten sideways on some corners.

A scalpel in a world of hammers
By MRGTX on 02/08/08 06:19 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

This is my second Miata and the rush of endorphins that these car are capable of inducing has not waned at all in my almost ten years of Miata ownership. There's nothing on the road as inexpensive to own and reliable while being as much fun. You can't help but fall in love with these cars! Sublime handling, intuitive steering, shifting is a pleasure. Second generation (like the 2000) offers some nice improvements glass window, stiffer body, etc. while not being much (if any) heavier. I miss the pop-up lights though.

2000 LS - Reliable and Fun
By Brandon on 10/04/07 10:18 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

This car has been a blast. Super reliable and fun to drive. This is my daily driver as well and the car saw an icy New Jersey winter last year. Was fine with a set of 4 snow tires. I only broke the end loose once. These cars are a great buy and will last well beyond 200k miles with some TLC. I think the 160-180hp range would have been better suited for the car as it feels kind of slow down low with lack of torque. If you're looking for a low maintenance, reliable 2 seater convertible, this car is probably for you.