Used 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

O.K., But......
By mikehs2

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Convertible

Remember this car was designed by the Japanese to imitate the experience of the MG. The MG was designed for the very winding roads of back woods England, 35-45 M.P.H. They totally hit the mark,if you drive a lot on very windy country roads, or just drive around town to Safeway and Starbucks. However, if you are on the freeway at all, this is not an "Autobahn" car. At 60 M.P.H. the R.P.M.'s are 3,500+. It has 5 speeds. So, on any normal vehicle the R.P.M. should be about 1,800. Realistically, with the right gear ratio, this car could get 45-50 M.P.G at 60. Watch out for the plastic radiator. It will fail between 120K-130K.

Favorite Features

O.K. for chicks who want to look cool. Not for guys 5'6", or above.

Suggested Improvements

Up the gear ratio. On "Click and Clack" they commented on the fact that the Miata could "Climb a tree". True, but terrible on the open road, i.e. I-5, S.F. to L.A.

Makes a commute feel like a vacation
By Mac

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Convertible

I have been driving mine as a daily 80 mile commuter for nearly 2 years and it has been simply a blast. Fun during the winter with the hardtop on. Just a delight in the warmer days with the top down. Getting 28-30 mpg. My wife says it makes her feel like we're on vacation every time we go out for a spin. Low cost, reliable, daily driver. I SMILE during my commute!

Favorite Features

Convertible, manual gearbox, handling, mpg, and sound of the engine winding out.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower and some decent cup holders.

A scalpel in a world of hammers
By MRGTX

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Convertible

This is my second Miata and the rush of endorphins that these car are capable of inducing has not waned at all in my almost ten years of Miata ownership. There's nothing on the road as inexpensive to own and reliable while being as much fun. You can't help but fall in love with these cars! Sublime handling, intuitive steering, shifting is a pleasure. Second generation (like the 2000) offers some nice improvements glass window, stiffer body, etc. while not being much (if any) heavier. I miss the pop-up lights though.

Favorite Features

Superb suspension design, giddiness inducing gearbox, classic/unpretentious exterior styling, amazing aftermarket and owner community. One of the most reliable and trouble free cars period, possibly the most reliable sports car ever.

Suggested Improvements

Bose speakers don't sound right (there may have been a recall on this), seats could use more side support for the kind of handling this car is capable of (I believe this was fixed for 2001).

2000 LS - Reliable and Fun
By Brandon

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Convertible

This car has been a blast. Super reliable and fun to drive. This is my daily driver as well and the car saw an icy New Jersey winter last year. Was fine with a set of 4 snow tires. I only broke the end loose once. These cars are a great buy and will last well beyond 200k miles with some TLC. I think the 160-180hp range would have been better suited for the car as it feels kind of slow down low with lack of torque. If you're looking for a low maintenance, reliable 2 seater convertible, this car is probably for you.

Favorite Features

Rear wheel drive with a Limited Slip Diff. on the LS model, manual top easy to put down. The motor is bulletproof and extremely reliable, even taking it to the 7000 rpm redline daily. Also has a great online community and support.

Suggested Improvements

Coilpack failure is somewhat common on the 99-00 causing misfires. Cupholders are terrible. Cheap plastics inside and the Bose audio system is horrible. The leather seats barely have any bolsters, so going around a curve will slide you around. Not the best car for taller drivers.

After 7 years this is a great car!
By joelybeau

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Convertible

I bought this car to drive to and from my workplace. The road I take is all curves. This car will still make any of the curves at twice the posted speed limit; however I never would break the law ;~) This car has been the best "fun per dollar" ratio of any car I've owned. No mechanical problems ever, period! Put gas in it, change the oil, keep the tires pressurized correctly and drive it. If you are looking for a fun low priced car, get one of these!

Favorite Features

The way this car hugs the road. I have the original Michelin Pilots and they have been great! The top goes up and down very fast and mine is down as much as possible.

Suggested Improvements

I think the later model six speed would be nice. I still find myself trying to shift one more time and am out of gears. I am also considering adding a supercharger. It should have crazy power then!