Used 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

My 3rd Miata
By Rick

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I live in south Florida and this is my 3rd Miata. I very rarely drive with the top up. I have been known to drop the top to drive to Publix a half mile away. I had a '93 and then a '95 which I sold with 190,000 miles on it. Bought my 2000 with 36,000 (almost brand new!). This car is much better than the type 1 cars. The trunk has finally been designed to hold something and I do not miss the barn door headlights. In my old cars the trunk would hold my Les Paul case but not an SG case. The new trunk is redesigned to easily hold a larger guitar case. Some people laugh at a musician owning a Miata but I can pack 2 electric guitars, 1 acoustic guitar, my amp, keyboard, tenor sax and misc. stuff.

Favorite Features

Pulling into the parking lot at work with the top down and Tom Petty blasting on the CD player....in January! (take that you New Hampshire Miata drivers!)

Suggested Improvements

The only way you could get more feel of the road would be removable doors. But that might be a little too impractical.

Miata Equals Fun
By KAG Miata

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Miatas are pure driving enjoyment. Simple and lightweight they thrive on winding roads. My 2000 has 32000 miles on it and has been rock solid reliable. The body is rigid, with only mild cowl shake. Interior space is OK if you're under 6 feet. A tilt wheel would be nice, but otherwise, the dash layout is clean and easy to read. The manual tranny is easy to shift with short throws. One of the nicest benefits of a Miata is that you don't need to spend a fortune to have fun. I'm sorry I waited so long to get one.

Favorite Features

The folding top is a model of simplicity and is easy to use. The manual gearbox offers short, crisp throws. I can't imagine this car with an automatic. The chassis is solid and this car just eats up corners. Love the exterior styling with it's clean flowing lines and wide stance.

Suggested Improvements

More power would be nice, but the base 4cylinder is still fun. More powerful headlights and fog lights would be a big plus.

Amazing Sports Car Value
By KAG MIATA

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

It took years of saving, but the Miata was worth the wait. A pure, simple sports car, the Miata loves to be tossed around, and loves to rev. My car has 32000 miles on it and is as tight as a drum. The manual transmission is a joy to shift with it's tight, short throws. Aerodynamics are quite good as you can drive with the top down on chilly days while the heater keeps the cabin warm. As an added bonus, there are loads of support sites, clubs, and accessories available to the Miata owner. If you've been thinking of a Miata stop thinking and start driving.

Favorite Features

It's a tossup between the incredible handling capabilities of the Miata, and it's simple to use convertible top. There's nothing better than cruising top down in the Miata.

Suggested Improvements

More power (of course), more legroom and larger standard wheels & tires.

Fun on a shoestring budget
By rangermutt

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

My wife has wanted a convertible for years so I wait until we moved from California to Iowa to get her one. Go figure. Actually, I drive it as a daily driver and except for a couple of big snowstorms it has served me well. My wife does get to drive it occasionally and we cannot wait for warm weather. My 16 year old daughter wants to learn how to drive a manual tranny so there will be some bonding (and praying) going on. Most fun car I have ever owned bar none! I have already gotten sideways on some corners.

Favorite Features

Manual trans, great cornering, good gas mileage, glass rear window, tight sealing convertible top, heater warms up really fast.

Suggested Improvements

Taller gearing for highway cruising. I am not going to comment on the cupholders as I seldom drink anything in the car.

Lovin' it!
By Miata Fan

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Wonderful little car. When you get this car, you're not just getting a vehicle to get from point A to B. You're getting a lifestyle. You're getting other friends (Miata fanatics) on the road. You're getting looks from girls. You're getting an "in" to a worldwide base of Miata enthusiasts. You're getting exhilaration on your morning commute (I can't tell you how many coworkers complain about the drive to work...but never me!). Mazda has the right to put "pure fun" in the official list of features.

Favorite Features

Sexy looks, "whiptastic" handling, driving at 6K rpm, many mods available.

Suggested Improvements

I don't drink in my car, so the cupholder is a moot point. And the "problem" about more horses has been addressed in the newer Miatas. Otherwise, for a person under 6 feet tall, this car is perfect.