Used 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

O.K., But......
By mikehs2

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

Remember this car was designed by the Japanese to imitate the experience of the MG. The MG was designed for the very winding roads of back woods England, 35-45 M.P.H. They totally hit the mark,if you drive a lot on very windy country roads, or just drive around town to Safeway and Starbucks. However, if you are on the freeway at all, this is not an "Autobahn" car. At 60 M.P.H. the R.P.M.'s are 3,500+. It has 5 speeds. So, on any normal vehicle the R.P.M. should be about 1,800. Realistically, with the right gear ratio, this car could get 45-50 M.P.G at 60. Watch out for the plastic radiator. It will fail between 120K-130K.

O.K. for chicks who want to look cool. Not for guys 5'6", or above.

Up the gear ratio. On "Click and Clack" they commented on the fact that the Miata could "Climb a tree". True, but terrible on the open road, i.e. I-5, S.F. to L.A.

Makes you excited to wake up
By rst900

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Convertible

I bought my 2000 SE 4 months ago and I.m driving it for my daily commute.It still keeps me excited and makes me wake up early than I used to just so I can have more time to drive it. Problem is I've been putting more miles to it than I should, approximately 3000 miles a month, and I get to work late almost every time. But I always get to work with a smile on my face :-)

I never did anything myself to maintain cars that i used to drive, this one just gets to you and makes you want to do everything yourself. It's relatively easy to maintain. Parts are relatively cheap and easy to find.

The hinge in the center console brakes too easy. The warning sign paint on the visor falls off like powder.

Makes a commute feel like a vacation
By Mac

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

I have been driving mine as a daily 80 mile commuter for nearly 2 years and it has been simply a blast. Fun during the winter with the hardtop on. Just a delight in the warmer days with the top down. Getting 28-30 mpg. My wife says it makes her feel like we're on vacation every time we go out for a spin. Low cost, reliable, daily driver. I SMILE during my commute!

Convertible, manual gearbox, handling, mpg, and sound of the engine winding out.

More horsepower and some decent cup holders.

My 3rd Miata
By Rick

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I live in south Florida and this is my 3rd Miata. I very rarely drive with the top up. I have been known to drop the top to drive to Publix a half mile away. I had a '93 and then a '95 which I sold with 190,000 miles on it. Bought my 2000 with 36,000 (almost brand new!). This car is much better than the type 1 cars. The trunk has finally been designed to hold something and I do not miss the barn door headlights. In my old cars the trunk would hold my Les Paul case but not an SG case. The new trunk is redesigned to easily hold a larger guitar case. Some people laugh at a musician owning a Miata but I can pack 2 electric guitars, 1 acoustic guitar, my amp, keyboard, tenor sax and misc. stuff.

Pulling into the parking lot at work with the top down and Tom Petty blasting on the CD player....in January! (take that you New Hampshire Miata drivers!)

The only way you could get more feel of the road would be removable doors. But that might be a little too impractical.

Miata Equals Fun
By KAG Miata

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Miatas are pure driving enjoyment. Simple and lightweight they thrive on winding roads. My 2000 has 32000 miles on it and has been rock solid reliable. The body is rigid, with only mild cowl shake. Interior space is OK if you're under 6 feet. A tilt wheel would be nice, but otherwise, the dash layout is clean and easy to read. The manual tranny is easy to shift with short throws. One of the nicest benefits of a Miata is that you don't need to spend a fortune to have fun. I'm sorry I waited so long to get one.

The folding top is a model of simplicity and is easy to use. The manual gearbox offers short, crisp throws. I can't imagine this car with an automatic. The chassis is solid and this car just eats up corners. Love the exterior styling with it's clean flowing lines and wide stance.

More power would be nice, but the base 4cylinder is still fun. More powerful headlights and fog lights would be a big plus.