1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Review: 6 years, 160K, but had issues

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Review

Base Convertible (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

6 years, 160K, but had issues
By eightieslingo on

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought my Miata for $7000 in 2005 with 70K on it. It had one owner who kept every record of service and who washed it every Saturday. The car was a dream for about 2 years, then my check engine light came on. I ignored it and it would go away and come back. One hot day in August my car overheated and I had to pull over on the highway. My radiator had cracked. We had it replaced but still had problems with the check engine light. Then in 2010 my air conditioning only worked if the car was in motion, otherwise it would shudder. This summer (2011) my car frequently overheated if I wasn't in motion. Even with all of these problems I still was sad to see it go when I finally upgraded.

Small size, fun to drive, feels like a go-cart, easy to park, convertible, great sound system (Bose), "fun" car, leather seats.

More legroom. My husband hated riding with me in the Miata because he felt cramped. He's only 5'11.