1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Review: Too much fun

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Review

Too much fun
By Chris68 on

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought a high-mileage Miata on eBay with the intent to convert it to an electric drive. The little car has been so much fun that I kept putting off the conversion. Although not a muscle car, I find that it has enough power, combined with the incredible handling, to make any driver smile from ear to ear. Incredibly reliable with lots of DIY resources available on the internet to fix little issues and find parts. I impressed my wife by being a Sunday mechanic for the first time with this car, and replacing soft top myself. Also added a roll bar for great looks. Car still turns heads.

Handling, with enough power to have loads of fun. Looks - outside and inside Reliability (well over 100K miles and counting)

Cupholders in the worst possible location - makes driving uncomfortable and shifting awkward.
By sagency
on 03/17/15 10:20 AM (PDT)

Chris68: I'm so curious as to what you mean by "convert it to an electric drive?" My dream is to convert my current beloved Ruby Tuesday Miata (til death do us part) to a solar/electric car. She's also a 99 with about 214,000 miles. The engine is showing signs of age (big puff of white smoke upon start up) but aside from that, she still runs great and I don't want to bury her! I'm looking for a rebuilt or low mileage engine to replace, but saw your article and it piqued my curiosity. Do you know how to convert a gas car to electric? Please share! Thanks so much! This is my 3rd red Miata. I can't imagine driving another car.