1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Review: My second Miata

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Review

Base Convertible (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

My second Miata
By Tim on

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This is my second Miata. I got it with only 57,000 miles. Previously I had a bare bones 96 (no A/C, P/W) I loved it. Then I bought a new 05 Mustang GT that had the comfort and the performance (LOVED that one too!). But I had to sell the Mustang unfortunately. So while I was "right sizing" I went back to a Miata. And in San Diego there isn't a more perfect car. If it wasn't for the 300 HP in the Mustang I would have rated the Miata higher in performance. The Miata's handling is perfect. It's buzzy at freeway speeds. I love the way it shifts. Looks better than the new Miatas!

Shifter, clutch, chassis balance, ease of parking. Styling. Dash layout. FUN TO DRIVE!

It's an old car by today's standards, so it's not fair to compare, but with such a small car with a small engine and a manual trans it should get better freeway mileage....30 MPG isn't that great (FYI a 2010 Mustang 3.7 V6 has 305 HP with 31 MPG!!!!!!!!)