I Miss My Miata
By Jordan on
1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible
I bought my '99 Miata in 2006 with 50,000 miles. It ran like a top and I had no major problems in the two years I owned it. The steering in these cars is phenomenal. You point the wheel where you want the car to go and it goes. Pedal placement is perfect and makes heel-toes extremely simple. Transmission is a little crunchy at higher revs, but the actual shifter feels very nice. Every gear seems to click into place. Gas mileage is decent and if I concentrated on it I could consistently get over 30 mpg. However, this car is so fun to drive it's really hard to keep the revs low and gas mileage high. I'd say my average was 25mpg. Overall it's a great car and I regret selling mine every day.
Favorite Features
Steering. Suspension. Looks. Transmission. Convertible top is very easy to put up and down. Decent gas mileage. Pedal placement.
Suggested Improvements
Although roadsters like the Miata aren't made for drag racing and it will blow the doors off pretty much any car in a slalom, it could use some more power. Cheap interior. No cup holders. Cloth seats are uncomfortable and don't grip your body during cornering. Stock paint fades and chips easily.