Used 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Sad to see her go
By Ryan

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

Never before had I had an emotional attachment to a vehicle. The Miata is not particularly fast, but fast enough with power to spare in 6th gear at 80mph, tops out (rev limited) somewhere beyond that. Power curve on the engine starts pulling at about 3000 rpm and doesnt stop til well over 6000 - engineers call it "jerk" (dA/dT for the nerds), such that you feel it pushing you into the seat in every gear. Mazda put VVT for wider torque the 2000+ cars, and IMHO, messed up the jerk curve. In 5 years of pushing the traction limits, I had only one mechanical problem; an electronic switch in the transmission was fixed under warranty. Traded the car in for a 4WD, I miss driving the Miata.

Favorite Features

Tight Suspension and curvy roads. Topless freedom. Huge aftermarket variety. REAR WHEEL DRIVE. 0-60 in under 7 seconds in skilled hands. Waving to other Miata drivers. This is the world wide all-time best selling 2 seat sports car, and for good reason. It is all about fun.

Suggested Improvements

This car is small, little headroom, legroom, or elbowroom. The trunk is tiny, cupholders are hard to use (fixed in 2000). OEM Michelin tires wore out at 30K miles and were kind of slippery. Switch to Bridgestone RE750 made the car run on rails.

awsome car all around!!!
By madmiatablue

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This is just one amazing car!! stock it is totally drivable without any complaints but throw on the jackson racing supercharger, lightweight flighwheel, 16" rims with some moderate chassy stiffeners, roll bar, and the 6 speed from the 10th ann. ed. (plus some other little nik nacs) and you have one sweet ride, no firebird in the land will give you much challenge! and it is still very streetable!! i have two and the one i told you about is the onee i drive, the other is race only in scca miata spec showroom stock B. i recomend these to anyone under 6'2"

Favorite Features

toomany to really list, even when stock, but the quick steering and amazing handling are nere the top. the top is great too, no leaks and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

stock supercharger for more power off the line, also 6 speed as opt. for the base modle miata. cup holder that actually is a cup holder. thats it!

Bulletproof Fun!
By MichaelJ3D

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car for the fun factor and it has delivered! I have owned several sports cars in the past and this one is by far the most fun (and reliable). I bought the car with high miles after talking to my local Mazda dealership and they told me mileage is not a issue and they were right. I've had it for a year now with no problems. I drive it daily and grow to love it more each day. This car doesn't disappoint!

Favorite Features

Style and reliability. Engine is smooth, gearbox is a dream and handling is true sports car feel. Bose stereo is nice and did I mention the handling is phenomenal! Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power please. Not complaining but it would be nice.

fun to drive
By all smiles

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

What a great car. No trouble since I bought it. I love this car so much I can't bring myself to trade it in on a more practical vehicle. It is the only car we own.

Favorite Features

handling

Suggested Improvements

none

mazda miata
By Lutz pescht

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I love the mazda miata it is so fun to drive talk about a great sports car.

Favorite Features

How it goes around corners.

Suggested Improvements

none