Used 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mazda Mx-5-miata - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Be careful of the one that you buy
By Cute Car

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I had a 99 Miata. The car was beautiful!! I thought I could tell from the details that the car was taken care of, no scratches, no dent, seats good condition, and ran well - I was wrong!! This car within 3 months of ownership I had a lot of problems. I know that there are bad vehicles in every making, I think that I got one of them. For those willing to try this car it will be fun to drive. I do suggest the manual tranmission it just makes it even more fun to drive. Mixed feeling on this ride. I will never purchase another though.

Favorite Features

6 spd manual transmission, bose system, and interior features beautiful.

Suggested Improvements

Make the coil pack and the convertible top better. Very expensive to replace coil packs (250 ea.). Dealerships cannot tell you which one is going bad and top 1200 to replace by professional.

I just love this thing
By Fred

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought this used car with 55k miles for the fun, and it has delivered in spades. It's also surprisingly practical. Decent mileage (27 MPG in normal driving and 30 MPG hwy at 70 MPH), absolutely reliable, comfortable for this 5'11" 62 year-old. I find that I can transport most anything I want to with a little imagination. I've added a roll bar and so can even carry lumber in good weather. Overall, it's the easiest automotive smile I've encountered, is relatively inexpensive to purchase and earns its keep as well.

Favorite Features

The handling, hands down. Comfort is surprisingly good for me. The convertible top. Economy of operation and ease of maintenance. Did I mention handling?

Suggested Improvements

The roll bar has added stiffness and, one hopes, safety - I'd add one to the option list. Otherwise, I'm happy.

Simply Amazing!
By Antonio Banderas

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Wow! What am amazing car! Amazing performance for a 4-cylinder, and surprisingly roomy on the inside. Bose audio is great, and the hardtop was included as well. Plenty of style, plenty of fun, and plenty of saved gas money in your wallet. A great choice if you are in dire need for some serious fun, but can't spring for that $50,000 convertible.

Favorite Features

Bose audio, slick shifter, ridiculously easy soft-top operation, great body styling, good quality materials, fuel economy, amazing 4 cylinder performance, true "roadster style and presence."

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a 6th gear just to see how fast it can really go.

Fun, fun fun!
By Glenn Zanotti

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I drive a lot of sports cars in my job, and although the Miata is not all that fast, it pegs the needle on the fun gauge. This is my second one. Its light weight and excellent suspension design make it a great ride in the twisties. Add the availability of hundreds of inexpensive aftermarket upgrades, and you can tailor your Miata for everything from daily driver to track-day monster. I use mine as a weekend fun car, not a daily driver. The other big plus is the reliability and easy maintenance of a Miata. They are so simple. Simplicity means there isn't much to go wrong, and when something does go wrong, you can often fix it yourself rather easily.

Favorite Features

Excellent and precise handling.

Suggested Improvements

Even with the Bose system, the audio is pointless with the top down at more than about 40 mph.

A very fun car
By helenTex

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I have had this car for 7 years and absolutely love it! The car is nimble and incredibly responsive-the car takes curves wonderfully. The top is easy to lower - I have taken the top down while sitting at a long red light. Unlatch and drop it behind you. The gas mileage is good. I get up to 33 mph on highway driving. It is a roadster and sounds/feels like one. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a fun, no frills car that is intended for driving enjoyment. When I bought it, the differences between the Miata and the (then) Z3 didn't justify the $18K difference in price. I am glad I went with the Miata. Fully loaded with all options it was only $24K,

Favorite Features

Overall look, the fact that the HP is great for its weight, locking glove compartment.

Suggested Improvements

None.