Used 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Add more power, please.
By Mark

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I have 10th Anniversary. It has been a reliable vehicle and I am still amazed that people comment on how good the car looks. I am happy with everything, but the power. It lacks power. It does. There is a circulating slogan that it is fun-to-drive. But it would have been infinitely much more fun if it had more power. I have no clue why Mazda is so reluctant to add reasonably powered engine to this wonderful roadster.

Handling and responsiveness are excellent.

Needs inline six.

Nice fun car to drive.
By CrazyGuy

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I just picked up this 10th anniversary edition Miata with 100,000 miles on it. The car still runs and idles like new. No vibration at all. The paint is in very good condition. I love 6 speed manual tranny and dual tone interior design. Leather and suede buckets seats. The handling is excellent. RWD. I love this car. A nice Christmas present for myself

6 speed tranny with LSD. Nardi edition. Bose stereo.

Need a power door lock switch.

STILL RUNNING STRONG AT 175k MILES!
By Roll Tide!!

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

My Miata has been a "blast" to drive! I drive an average of 900 miles a week! The Miata has NEVER let me down! No engine work or transmission work! Change the oil and filter every two weeks at approx. 2000 miles. Super car!!

Handling, quality of build, reliability!

NONE

10th anniv. worth the extra $
By Oakley1337

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

Last year I bought the 1999 mx5 10th ann. The car had 68k and was in excellent cond. I drive the car quite hard and find the power band somewhat disappointing, however I do admit red-line shifts are very satisfying, at around 7k rpms,(typical for many import sports cars). Little acceleration in 6th, toping out somewhere around 125mph. Shifting quickly into 6th can be sketchy, since reverse is just a click away. Car has an awesome feel and ride... very stiff and sporty. Sound from stock exhaust is respectable. Seats are leather with blue suede inserts that are difficult to maintain, but look very cool. Winter driving is a death wish, however the hard top keeps you warm and looks amazing.

Exterior look is superior to many other vehicles and demands attention. Very short stick makes shifting very quick and precise. Car corners like a champ, in part thanks to stock sports suspension, which is lower and firmer than the regular mx5. Love all the special edition extras!

The ONLY cup holders are in the center glove box right behind the stick, making shifting annoying. Steering column is not adjustable. Carbon fiber trim is imitation. Although gearbox has 6 speeds, car whines at freeway speeds; 3500+rpm at 65mph. The 6th gear really does nothing for performance.

I Miss My Miata
By Jordan

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought my '99 Miata in 2006 with 50,000 miles. It ran like a top and I had no major problems in the two years I owned it. The steering in these cars is phenomenal. You point the wheel where you want the car to go and it goes. Pedal placement is perfect and makes heel-toes extremely simple. Transmission is a little crunchy at higher revs, but the actual shifter feels very nice. Every gear seems to click into place. Gas mileage is decent and if I concentrated on it I could consistently get over 30 mpg. However, this car is so fun to drive it's really hard to keep the revs low and gas mileage high. I'd say my average was 25mpg. Overall it's a great car and I regret selling mine every day.

Steering. Suspension. Looks. Transmission. Convertible top is very easy to put up and down. Decent gas mileage. Pedal placement.

Although roadsters like the Miata aren't made for drag racing and it will blow the doors off pretty much any car in a slalom, it could use some more power. Cheap interior. No cup holders. Cloth seats are uncomfortable and don't grip your body during cornering. Stock paint fades and chips easily.