Used 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

My NEW (to me) Miata
By brianne12782

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I just bought a 1999 Mazda Miata. She's cherry red and with the beige lether interior, Bose sound system, P/W and P/L. I love her!!! I've wanted a Miata since before I could drive and my mom refused when I was 16 years old to get me one, citing it was unsafe. I understand where she was coming from- plus when I went to college, in MAINE, my Miata would've been a silly choice. However, I live and work in Boston and I love this car! No, I wont be able to take her out in the winter that much but she's a second car and well worth it. She was just over $8,000 and had only 28,000 miles on it! I know right!!! She had one owner who kept her in a garage at his cape cod house! WHat a steal- mint!

Favorite Features

How much fun it is to drive!!!! I'm only 5' 2" so for me it fits like a glove. It's funny how people say it's a girl car but everyone I've met with one is a dude- I seem to be the only girl who owns one!

Suggested Improvements

I'd say push button retractable roof and possibly heated mirrors and seats but I ehard the fully loaded MX-5 Miata in 2013 has these already

Second time around
By mike9691

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

We bought our first Miata new in 2002. Can't add anymore than everyone else has about how fun and reliable it was. Had to get another car soon after because it was impractical for our needs at the time. Ten years later, I found this 1999 with 140kmiles for a very good price and practicality be d****d. It still runs like a new one and is just as much fun. I'd like to disagree with everyone that says it's not a good choice for a 6 foot person. I'm 6'1" and have plenty of room with the top down, which is the main reason for owning one. It is a little tight for headroom with the top up, but that shouldn't keep a taller person from checking one out.

Favorite Features

The sheer joy of driving it!

Suggested Improvements

I believe that Mazda has hit a home run with the Miata. It's been around for 20 years, is stone reliable, and there are a ton of aftermarket performance parts available if you want it to go faster. I'm happy with the way it is.

6 years, 160K, but had issues
By eightieslingo

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought my Miata for $7000 in 2005 with 70K on it. It had one owner who kept every record of service and who washed it every Saturday. The car was a dream for about 2 years, then my check engine light came on. I ignored it and it would go away and come back. One hot day in August my car overheated and I had to pull over on the highway. My radiator had cracked. We had it replaced but still had problems with the check engine light. Then in 2010 my air conditioning only worked if the car was in motion, otherwise it would shudder. This summer (2011) my car frequently overheated if I wasn't in motion. Even with all of these problems I still was sad to see it go when I finally upgraded.

Favorite Features

Small size, fun to drive, feels like a go-cart, easy to park, convertible, great sound system (Bose), "fun" car, leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

More legroom. My husband hated riding with me in the Miata because he felt cramped. He's only 5'11.

Awesome 1999 miata
By ray

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Bought a 1999 miata with 64k mileage on it around 8-9 months ago. Bought it from the original adult owner. About the car: Manula transmission -Low mileage when I bought it -haven't done anything aside from 3k oil change -Current mileage on the car for the past 8-9 months is 73k I enjoy driving this little beauty. My gf doesn't like it because its manual and she thinks the car is too small(your opinion matters little..). So far, upgraded air filter to K&N oem filter(1mil mileage warranty), momo shift knob, and just recently added a High Quality trunk lip spoiler, Original did major service @50k, so I guess I will do one at 90k or so. So far, the car drives flawlessly.

Favorite Features

-exterior design -nice shifting and swift on curves

Suggested Improvements

-cup holder(pointless) -too much plastics inside

My second Miata
By Tim

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This is my second Miata. I got it with only 57,000 miles. Previously I had a bare bones 96 (no A/C, P/W) I loved it. Then I bought a new 05 Mustang GT that had the comfort and the performance (LOVED that one too!). But I had to sell the Mustang unfortunately. So while I was "right sizing" I went back to a Miata. And in San Diego there isn't a more perfect car. If it wasn't for the 300 HP in the Mustang I would have rated the Miata higher in performance. The Miata's handling is perfect. It's buzzy at freeway speeds. I love the way it shifts. Looks better than the new Miatas!

Favorite Features

Shifter, clutch, chassis balance, ease of parking. Styling. Dash layout. FUN TO DRIVE!

Suggested Improvements

It's an old car by today's standards, so it's not fair to compare, but with such a small car with a small engine and a manual trans it should get better freeway mileage....30 MPG isn't that great (FYI a 2010 Mustang 3.7 V6 has 305 HP with 31 MPG!!!!!!!!)