1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Add more power, please.
By Mark on 01/13/09 17:55 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I have 10th Anniversary. It has been a reliable vehicle and I am still amazed that people comment on how good the car looks. I am happy with everything, but the power. It lacks power. It does. There is a circulating slogan that it is fun-to-drive. But it would have been infinitely much more fun if it had more power. I have no clue why Mazda is so reluctant to add reasonably powered engine to this wonderful roadster.

Nice fun car to drive.
By CrazyGuy on 12/19/08 21:10 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I just picked up this 10th anniversary edition Miata with 100,000 miles on it. The car still runs and idles like new. No vibration at all. The paint is in very good condition. I love 6 speed manual tranny and dual tone interior design. Leather and suede buckets seats. The handling is excellent. RWD. I love this car. A nice Christmas present for myself

10th anniv. worth the extra $
By Oakley1337 on 05/20/08 22:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

Last year I bought the 1999 mx5 10th ann. The car had 68k and was in excellent cond. I drive the car quite hard and find the power band somewhat disappointing, however I do admit red-line shifts are very satisfying, at around 7k rpms,(typical for many import sports cars). Little acceleration in 6th, toping out somewhere around 125mph. Shifting quickly into 6th can be sketchy, since reverse is just a click away. Car has an awesome feel and ride... very stiff and sporty. Sound from stock exhaust is respectable. Seats are leather with blue suede inserts that are difficult to maintain, but look very cool. Winter driving is a death wish, however the hard top keeps you warm and looks amazing.

Be careful of the one that you buy
By Cute Car on 10/20/07 21:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I had a 99 Miata. The car was beautiful!! I thought I could tell from the details that the car was taken care of, no scratches, no dent, seats good condition, and ran well - I was wrong!! This car within 3 months of ownership I had a lot of problems. I know that there are bad vehicles in every making, I think that I got one of them. For those willing to try this car it will be fun to drive. I do suggest the manual tranmission it just makes it even more fun to drive. Mixed feeling on this ride. I will never purchase another though.

I LOVE my Miata even after ...
By njrthompson on 03/18/06 07:07 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

All these years. My husband brought the 10th anniversary Miata home. I fell in love immediately. I still get a thrill driving it. I have never needed any maintenance other than tires and oil changes. I will keep this car forever.

No Problems Ever
By pinhigh1 on 12/28/05 18:31 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 99 Miata used with about 21,000 miles 4.5 years ago. I have had no mechanical problems and am just now replacing the original soft top. It is a blast to drive even though it has just 4 cylinders. It is a best buy in my book! (Just make sure your golf bag fits in the trunk first).

Sad to see her go
By Ryan on 06/29/05 23:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

Never before had I had an emotional attachment to a vehicle. The Miata is not particularly fast, but fast enough with power to spare in 6th gear at 80mph, tops out (rev limited) somewhere beyond that. Power curve on the engine starts pulling at about 3000 rpm and doesnt stop til well over 6000 - engineers call it "jerk" (dA/dT for the nerds), such that you feel it pushing you into the seat in every gear. Mazda put VVT for wider torque the 2000+ cars, and IMHO, messed up the jerk curve. In 5 years of pushing the traction limits, I had only one mechanical problem; an electronic switch in the transmission was fixed under warranty. Traded the car in for a 4WD, I miss driving the Miata.

Great Car. I'll buy another!
By AlanY on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

No problems with the car at all! Handles tight, and gets lots of great comments.

zoom zoom
By Guzmania on 06/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

What a great car to own and drive. I have never owned a car that has received more comments than the 10th anniversary Miata. It is so much fun to drive even on long trips. Might be cramped for anyone taller than 5'11", though. Great road trip car. Handles nicely and is rally fun to drive. Have not had one ounce of trouble with the car! Very reliable.

Looking for a roadster experience?
By R. K. Parker on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

The Mazda Miata is the best-looking, most fun-to-drive car for less than $25,000... Plain and simple. While not producing loads of low-end torque or high horsepower, Mazda has put together a total driving experience that rivals that of its much higher-priced, German counterparts. The wonderful steering feel and crisp transmission contribute greatly to the astounding overall handling characteristics of this car. A bit cramped with the top up, but once it is lowered, all is forgiven! If you are looking for a reliable, unique (10th anniv edition - I love mine!) and fun-to-drive car, look no further.