Used 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Add more power, please.
By Mark

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I have 10th Anniversary. It has been a reliable vehicle and I am still amazed that people comment on how good the car looks. I am happy with everything, but the power. It lacks power. It does. There is a circulating slogan that it is fun-to-drive. But it would have been infinitely much more fun if it had more power. I have no clue why Mazda is so reluctant to add reasonably powered engine to this wonderful roadster.

Handling and responsiveness are excellent.

Needs inline six.

Nice fun car to drive.
By CrazyGuy

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I just picked up this 10th anniversary edition Miata with 100,000 miles on it. The car still runs and idles like new. No vibration at all. The paint is in very good condition. I love 6 speed manual tranny and dual tone interior design. Leather and suede buckets seats. The handling is excellent. RWD. I love this car. A nice Christmas present for myself

6 speed tranny with LSD. Nardi edition. Bose stereo.

Need a power door lock switch.

10th anniv. worth the extra $
By Oakley1337

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

Last year I bought the 1999 mx5 10th ann. The car had 68k and was in excellent cond. I drive the car quite hard and find the power band somewhat disappointing, however I do admit red-line shifts are very satisfying, at around 7k rpms,(typical for many import sports cars). Little acceleration in 6th, toping out somewhere around 125mph. Shifting quickly into 6th can be sketchy, since reverse is just a click away. Car has an awesome feel and ride... very stiff and sporty. Sound from stock exhaust is respectable. Seats are leather with blue suede inserts that are difficult to maintain, but look very cool. Winter driving is a death wish, however the hard top keeps you warm and looks amazing.

Exterior look is superior to many other vehicles and demands attention. Very short stick makes shifting very quick and precise. Car corners like a champ, in part thanks to stock sports suspension, which is lower and firmer than the regular mx5. Love all the special edition extras!

The ONLY cup holders are in the center glove box right behind the stick, making shifting annoying. Steering column is not adjustable. Carbon fiber trim is imitation. Although gearbox has 6 speeds, car whines at freeway speeds; 3500+rpm at 65mph. The 6th gear really does nothing for performance.

Be careful of the one that you buy
By Cute Car

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

I had a 99 Miata. The car was beautiful!! I thought I could tell from the details that the car was taken care of, no scratches, no dent, seats good condition, and ran well - I was wrong!! This car within 3 months of ownership I had a lot of problems. I know that there are bad vehicles in every making, I think that I got one of them. For those willing to try this car it will be fun to drive. I do suggest the manual tranmission it just makes it even more fun to drive. Mixed feeling on this ride. I will never purchase another though.

6 spd manual transmission, bose system, and interior features beautiful.

Make the coil pack and the convertible top better. Very expensive to replace coil packs (250 ea.). Dealerships cannot tell you which one is going bad and top 1200 to replace by professional.

I LOVE my Miata even after ...
By njrthompson

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 10th Anniversary 2dr Convertible

All these years. My husband brought the 10th anniversary Miata home. I fell in love immediately. I still get a thrill driving it. I have never needed any maintenance other than tires and oil changes. I will keep this car forever.

Leather seats might be my favorite feature or the hard top or the attention I get every where I take it. It's really hard to pick one favorite.

Heated seats.